Don't be a PC

When young children are involved, most parents and adults usually try to “keep things PG.”

This means taking the necessary precautions to make sure their child is isolated in as many ways as possible. No swear words, no nudity, no violence, no drugs. Think “Sesame Street.” “Winnie the Pooh” is OK even though he doesn’t have pants on — although he does exhibit addiction.

“Keeping things PG” is the typical adult’s way of handling their children. Parents are worried the wrong influences could get to their vulnerable children and ruin their futures.

When children are removed from the equation, though, adults employ a far more sinister rule. When adults deal with adults, the new objective is to “keep things PC.” Politically correct.

A high school principal in Connecticut recently canceled the student vote for prom king and queen in order to give “everyone the same opportunity to be a member of the prom court.” Rather than vote, all students will be allowed to enter their own names in a box and two winners will be drawn at random.

Well, shoot, why didn’t I think of that? Maybe that’s how we should run the presidential election this year. You know, just so everyone truly has the same opportunity to win. This is a democracy after all. Hopefully that guy eating paint chips won’t win.

This is oversensitivity to an absurd level, which is to say, this is political correctness. It’s not being respectful, which is what people should be going for. Political correctness is born from weak, cowardly people who shrink back from any adversity. They just pray everyone goes through life without ever feeling rejection or pain.

It’s clear to see that “keeping things PC” is more or less the same thing as “keeping things PG.” Sure, it’s natural and maybe even noble for a parent to try to protect their child from harm, but at a certain point, the kid has to learn to grow up.

Incidentally, this is exactly what people like the principal in Connecticut need to do: grow up.

­— aleblakl@indiana.edu