Brown in Btown

Danny Brown comes to Bloomington.

Detroit-born rapper Danny Brown will perform at 9 p.m. today at the Bluebird in Bloomington.

Nomad Prod founder and IU student Sina Astani booked the show when he saw Brown was touring with Childish Gambino.

Brown blew up after his 2010 album “The Hybrid,” which he followed up with last year’s critically acclaimed album “XXX.” The straightened hair- and skinny jeans-wearing rapper was also included in XXL’s Freshman Class of 2012.

Danny Brown has one of the most distinctive voices in hip-hop right now. “To me, he sounds a little like ODB — Ol’ Dirty Bastard,” Astani said.

Pitchfork is releasing an upcoming documentary about Brown called “Detroit State of Mind.” “I wouldn’t call him a hipster rapper, but I would put him in the genre of a different kind of emcees,” Astani said.

The show’s opener is Indianapolis-based rapper Oreo Jones. Astani was excited that Jones is “playing with a full live band and DJ” and called him “Indiana’s biggest rapper now that Freddie Gibbs is on a national level.”

Astani advised to get to the show at 9 p.m. because it might be a packed house and “there’s gonna be a lot of people coming from Indianapolis.” Brown spits gritty punch lines with a twisted sense of humor and tells bizarre stories full of inventively deranged imagery. His flow catches your attention.

Astani said he wanted to make sure Brown came to Bloomington because “he’s different than most rappers.”

Tickets are available at Landlocked Music, Ticketmaster and at the door for $15. Doors open at 8 p.m.