WonderLab promotes gardening culture awareness

In downtown Bloomington, the WonderLab Museum of Science, Health and Technology strives to teach a fresh perspective on nature.

Photographs of caterpillars, flowers and vegetables line the museum’s staircase, while outside the building the organization’s WonderGarden blooms with native Indiana plants.

On April 6, foodscape designer and photographer Jami Scholl presented her exhibit, “Permaculture + Potager: An Edible Eden.”

Using kale, Scholl teamed with artist Timothy Carter-East to create a foodscape sculpture of a bearded dragon.

Louise Schlesinger, WonderLab marketing director, said foodscaping is the process in which one landscapes using food in an eye-pleasing way.

Scholl said the event aimed to reach out not only to children but young adults as well — especially since the occasion was made free for IU students as part of 2012 IU Arts Week Everywhere.

“We all have something to learn, and sometimes we have to learn from people younger than we are,” Scholl said.

The series of 14 close-up photographs along the WonderLab staircase offer young minds the chance to learn about garden ecology, Scholl said.

The exhibit at WonderLab is part of Scholl’s Garden the City 2012 project. The project, which aims to promote sustainability and organic cultivation, will also include classes to help patrons learn how to garden in a city setting.

Scholl said the next generation, as future leaders of the world, should not to overlook the culture of gardening and to conceptualize integrating gardening into our culture.

“Usually, the natural garden can bounce back, but there’s a time when the environment doesn’t bounce back,” Scholl said.

Bloomington resident and parent Teresa Mandell has a similar opinion.

“I think that it’s an important part of learning for kids,” Mandell said. “We need to get them dirty and get them to play and love animals.”

She mentioned it’s harder to teach young people about nature in a city, but this
exhibit provides children with that experience.

Schlesinger said the green space of WonderLab is intended to give residents the opportunity to enjoy the natural beauties of Bloomington.

“What we try to do is create fun ways (for patrons) to understand the world around them as scientists understand the world,” Schlesinger said.

The exhibit runs through May 31.