Lotus World Bazaar features arts, crafts

Bazaar

Students normally learn about world culture through textbooks, but Saturday at Binford Elementary School, cultures of the world came alive in the school gymnasium.

The Lotus Blossoms World Bazaar, sponsored by the Lotus Education and Arts Foundation, welcomed Bloomington families to take part in three hours of arts, crafts and entertainment that encompassed cultures from six continents.

Seven-year volunteer Crystal Ritter handed out temporary tattoos at the door.
“I love it,” Ritter said. “I have a lot of fun and enjoy doing it.”

International passports were also handed out at the door and were stamped after children attended the accompanying cultural stations.

Aimed at kindergarten to sixth-grade students, the 14 passport stops showcased textiles from the Democratic Republic of the Congo, calligraphy from China and musical instruments from Russia.

Some booths required less skill and more taste. First-year volunteer Lexi Summers, an IU sophomore, passed out fruit at the “Foods around the World” booth.

“Its been interesting seeing children’s reactions, most are more open to the new foods than parents expect,” Summers said. 

Stations were manned by 80 volunteers from the Bloomington community and IU campus.

Volunteer coordinator Tamara Loewenthal has been involved with the Lotus Education and Arts Foundation for more than 10 years.

“I’m still here because I love its mission. World music gets children involved,” Loewenthal said. “The booths are set up by the club affiliated with them, and they think of the activities for the kids, and it’s as simple as that.”

Despite elementary school children being the target age, parents found a way to join the fun.

David Stringer,  IU professor in the Department of Second Language Studies, learned to play the djembé, a West African drum, with his three children.

“We come every year,” Stringer said.

“It’s great fun for the family. My kids always want to come back.”