sports men's soccer

Hoosiers finish home stand on top

After a scoreless first half, the IU men’s soccer team cruised to a victory against the 2011 National Association of Intercollegiate Athletics champion, Lindsey Wilson College, 2-0 Friday night at Jerry Yeagley Field.

The Hoosiers and the Blue Raiders combined for only one shot during the first 45 minutes of the match, as Indiana junior forward Tim Wylie forced the LWC goalkeeper Yuta Nomura to make a save with just fewer than 13 minutes left in the first half.

But the Hoosiers’ offensive attack sprung quickly in the second half, as junior midfielder Joe Tolen scored in the 53rd minute on a play set up by a pass to the middle of the 18-yard box from sophomore defender Matt McKain.

Indiana added another goal in the 78th minute when sophomore midfielder A.J. Corrado capitalized on a mistake from Nomura. After Nomura came out of the box to steal the ball and clear it, he failed, and Corrado dished the ball into the open net for the easy goal.

After finishing the final game of a three-game home stand, the Hoosiers will travel to Fort Wayne, where they will face Notre Dame in the National Soccer Festival at 6:30 p.m. Saturday at Parkview Field.