Glass studio to open east of Bloomington

As he geared up for the grand opening, owner Brent Thackery said East Bloomington Glass Blowers was created to give back to the community.

“I’ve been blowing glass since 1997 and made it my profession in 2000,” Thackery said in an email.

“The idea for EBGB’s came about as a way to give back to the community. The idea is to create a space where local artists can sell their work on consignment and folks looking for local art at great prices can come together.”

Ranging from glass art to painting to fossils and limestone carvings, EBGB’s houses the work of many different artists.

“I met Brent at the Indiana Festival last year,” artist Stan Weddington said. “I believe I was the first artist whose work was featured in the establishment.”

Weddington’s work is fractal, or algorithmic, and features digital lines that crystallize into one pattern of media. Though EBGB’s works to sell art created by aspiring artists, it also serves as an inspiration for those same artists.

“When I came up with the idea for EBGB’s, I didn’t want to just sell art. I wanted to inspire young artists to pursue their dreams,” Thackery said. “I wanted to help them realize that they can make a living doing what they love.”

Working together with his wife, Amanda, Thackery said the fundamental mission of EBGB’s was “to elevate the frequency or spirits of anyone whom we come into
contact with.”

Aaron Steele, a sculptor whose work is featured at EBGB’s, is a long-time friend of Thackery’s and said he was impressed with the establishment.

“I’ve known Brent for years,” Steele said.

“I used to own a couple bars on Kirkwood which were replaced by Kilroys. I met Brent through a friend of mine when I owned the bars, and we’ve been friends ever since. EBGB’s is another fine accomplishment that can be attributed to him.”

Working mainly with limestone, Steele said he sees a positive future for EBGB’s.

“I don’t think Brent’s going anywhere soon,” he said. “A lot of people from around the state come to him for his work, and now they have a good place to get it from.”

People can purchase artwork from EBGB’s, but, for some artists, the space works as a great place to showcase.

“Today it’s all about marketing,” Weddington said.

EBGB’s was not built directly in Bloomington. Located off of Highway 46, it aims to attract people driving by on the highway.

“We chose this location due to the high visibility,” Thackery said.

“But the main reason we chose to be outside of the city was respect for the law. We were informed that glassblowing is now considered ‘heavy industrial’ and is forbidden within city limits. I am aware that there are other glass studios that have gotten away with it, but I didn’t want to risk it.”

Thackery said the purpose of his business is to raise awareness of the arts, and he hopes to continue this work.

“As far as the future goes, our intent is to remain as a wholesale art depot for artists and customers,” Thackery said. “It will stand as long as people support the arts.”