African American Choral Ensemble performs annual spring concert

Microphones, flanked by a keyboard and drum set, stood tall and lonely on the stage of Wilkie Auditorium on Saturday as the African American Choral Ensemble prepared for its annual Spring Concert.

“Good evening, everyone,” said Charles Sykes, executive director of the African American Arts Institute. “It is my pleasure to welcome you to the African American Choral Ensemble Spring Concert. I won’t keep you waiting any longer, so without further ado, ladies and gentlemen, the African American Choral Ensemble.”

Applause followed Sykes off the stage as the ensemble made its way onstage.

Wearing long black shirts with red designs, the vocalists took their places behind the microphones and opened with “On Green Dolphin Street.”

Freshman Alex Young performed a solo on the saxophone in the middle of the first song. The saxophone issued forth clear, smooth notes, which resounded throughout the auditorium.

The second song the ensemble performed was “Mary Was the Queen of Galilee” and included a solo from doctorate student and Choral Ensemble Road Manager Johanna Moffitt.

The mysterious song echoed throughout the room as the ensemble repeatedly asked who Mary was and then answered its own question.

At the end of the song, the ensemble members worked in unison as they drew out the word “Galilee” while Moffitt sang the name “Mary.”

The ensemble also sang “Amazing Grace,” which was the theme for this year’s
Spring Concert.

As the singers rocked slowly back and forth, their voices rang loud and clear.

Picking up the pace a bit, the ensemble members moved their hips and clapped their hands for the song “Free.” Motioning to themselves and to the audience, they sang “I’m free” and “you’re free” as the audience clapped along to the beat.

The performance concluded with a passionate song titled “Trying to Make a Change.”

As the performance turned into a small dance party onstage, the ensemble members “put their hearts into the music,” Bloomington resident Kaley Kaul said.

“I thought the performance was amazing,” Kaul said. “Some songs tore at my heartstrings, and others made me want to get up and dance.”

Keith McCutchen, director of the ensemble, had a few sentimental words for its singers that he shared with the audience.

“Now, this group behind me has been with me since I’ve been here,” McCutchen said. “They are very talented, committed people with a lot of integrity. I believe that they have wonderful lives and careers ahead of them, and I have enjoyed every moment I’ve spent working with them. So give them some more love, would you?”

The audience clapped enthusiastically as the singers bowed and made their
way offstage.

“That really was a wonderful performance,” Kaul said. “They had a lot of great musical choices, which they sang beautifully. This was my first time coming, and I’m really glad I did. I am definitely looking forward to next year’s Spring Concert.”