271 people face court after Little 500 week citations

About 300 people were ticketed by police this year during the “World’s Greatest College Weekend.”

Tom Rhodes, Monroe County Community Corrections director, said 271 people were at the Monroe County Justice Center early Sunday morning after they were ticketed for offenses during Little 500 weekend.

The atmosphere outside the justice building was not as somber as one might think. People standing in the line, which wrapped around the building, were laughing. One woman took photos of her friends with her cell phone. A man standing at the top of the steps leading to the square, granite building said, “I got tackled by cops two
nights ago.”

Some in line were eligible for a quick, albeit expensive, solution. It was a pre-trial diversion program. People ticketed for misdemeanors who had no previous convictions and were facing charges not involving violence or operating a vehicle were eligible.

They were able to speak to workers from the prosecutor’s office about their options, but most people eligible for the pre-trial diversion program do it, Rhodes said, because it keeps the charge off their record.

The program involved four parts for people after they arrived at the justice building and decided to participate: a $424 fine, four hours of community service the same day, an alcohol education class and a year of probation.

Many Bloomington residents, therefore, had a Sunday that started at 8:30 a.m. with a wait in a long line and ended that night after an alcohol education class. But after that day — apart from probation — it was done.

Others were not so lucky.

Judge Mary Ellen Diekhoff was one of several judges listening to cases not eligible for pre-trial diversion early Sunday, a time, she pointed out to the courtroom, when it is not common to see judges.

The courtroom was as far from a “Law & Order” set as one can imagine. Green carpet lined the floor, chairs and walls. Light wood paneling covered the walls, doors and judge’s desk. There were no long pews, no area set aside for a jury. It was a small, bright room, but the moods of the people waiting to talk to the judge made it dismal.

No one was talking and laughing in this room. People were sleeping, staring off into the distance or crying.

One woman sitting next to her mother in the front of the room was visibly upset. Unlike the people next to her in dirty sweats, she’d donned a black skirt and flats. The woman, Alexandria Carmen, 22, had pinned up her brown curly hair. She’d taken time to do her makeup before coming in, but her face was red from crying.

Diekhoff spent about five minutes on each case. A name would be called, and the person would walk to the bench. Diekhoff explained their charges and asked how they wanted to plead. Some pled guilty and waited until later to talk with Diekhoff again about sentencing. Others wanted to wait to decide how to plead or plead not guilty, and Diekhoff assigned them another court date, usually late in May.

As people approached the bench, Carmen’s mother leaned toward her.

“I can’t go up there, can I?” she asked.

Carmen shook her head.

After about 15 minutes, Carmen’s name was called. Her charge was a Class B misdemeanor public intoxication. She couldn’t choose the diversion because she was charged after drinking underage a few years ago.

Bob Miller, the chief deputy prosecutor in Monroe County, offered her a deal that would result in a $1 fine plus court costs of $165 if she pled guilty. The deal, however, would leave the charge on her record.

Carmen chose to plead guilty. Diekhoff asked her to sit on the side of the room away from everyone waiting to talk to the judge until she’d talked to everyone.

Another woman was offered the same deal as Carmen. But when Diekhoff explained the deal, the woman tossed her hair and asked, “As opposed to what?”

Diekhoff answered, but she also explained how easy the county was making dealing with the woman’s charges. It isn’t normal for a judge to listen to people on a Sunday morning, she said.

“Do you see how many people are downstairs?” Diekhoff asked. “Do you see how many people are in this room? Do you know how many people were arrested during the weekend in Bloomington?”

It was only 9:35 a.m. when Diekhoff was through with everyone and could call Carmen back to the bench. She invited Carmen’s mother to come with her.

As soon as Carmen was before the judge again, she launched into an apology, explaining how embarrassed she was. Diekhoff seemed tired but appreciative as she listened.

“I have a lot going for me,” Carmen said while holding back tears.

She explained that she was going to graduate in two weeks and had a job in Indianapolis. She was afraid they were going to do a background check, and she asked if there was a way to keep the charge off her record.

Diekhoff swore her in. She pled guilty to the misdemeanor and agreed to pay the total of $166 before May 31. Then Diekhoff asked her why she didn’t qualify for the diversion.

“Underage,” she said.

Diekhoff shook her head.

“You know, you really need to stop doing this.”

“I know — ”

“Two arrests like this, and you’re, what?”

“Twenty-two.”

Diekhoff told her that if she’s charged with anything like this again, judges will not be lenient another time. With two drinking charges already, she’ll look like trouble.

But, for the moment, Carmen was safe. Diekhoff said that because she brought her mother, offered a sincere apology and understood how she’d messed up, she could write a letter to the court and receive a dismissal. After that, she could go back to her life.

“So, enjoy your job,” Diekhoff said. “Stay out of trouble.”

Carmen nodded.

“I sincerely thank you.”