Timmy Global Health founder talks international service

HPER

Chuck Dietzen received his bachelor’s degree from Purdue University, his master’s from IU and is a classically trained doctor, but the first time an intern shadowed him, the intern said, “It appears to me you’re a social worker, Dr. Chuck.”

Dietzen’s concept of medicine goes beyond traditional surgery. In his words, he focuses on “what a patient really needs.”

In 1997, he founded Timmy Global Health to provide patients worldwide with the wellness resources they require.

“If we lead an exemplary life, then those people who are around us, work with us, who see what we’re doing learn ‘I can do that, I can be that,’” Deitzen said. “You can be an ordinary person doing extraordinary things.”

For Timmy Global Health, “extraordinary things” can be as complicated as curing cancer to as simple as cleaning water.

Timmy Global Health is an organization that partners with international health groups to assist in implementing various initiatives.

These include educating students, recruiting volunteers and empowering medical professionals with knowledge about global development and new health challenges. Timmy also gives financial assistance to organizations in developing countries.

Timmy directs special attention to Ecuador, Guatemala, Nigeria and the Dominican Republic, but the organization also has strong ties to Indiana. The nonprofit is headquartered in Indianapolis.

Dietzen has personally traveled to more than 23 countries during 80 medical assistance trips.

“When you work with these children, the profound impact they have on what’s truly important is a revelation,” Dietzen said.

Dietzen remembers a trip to India in which he treated 26 children suffering from Pott Disease, or spinal tuberculosis. He estimates there are 3 million individuals with this ailment worldwide.

“I’m going to get to every one of those kids somehow,” Dietzen said. “If those 26 touch 26, and those 26 touch 26, and I get to go to the U.S. and give speeches to rooms like this, we’ll get 3 million.”

Students interested in being involved with Timmy can join or start a Timmy Global Health Chapter at their school. IU has one of 17 university chapters, and there are four high school chapters. The chapters’ goals are to fundraise for the organization and spread awareness about its goals.