Speak up! What can we do for student government?

Speak up!

The recent IUSA nominations have raised some eyebrows, especially following the quick rise and fall of an opposition party to Movement for IUSA.

The upcoming single-ticket election brings to mind several concerns with student government and its limitations.

In the past semester, the IUSA has doubtlessly contributed to IU. The bus tracking system, electricity-generating bikes in the Student Recreational Sports Center, additional lights around campus and added seminars on GLBT issues count among their admirable projects.

However, it seems the IUSA is ill-equipped to tackle major issues at IU. This might not be a failing of the current administration. This might be the fate of student governments.

Still, I can’t help but wonder what a motivated and militant IUSA could accomplish on campus.

It seems the Bloomington Faculty Council, University Council and IU Board of Trustees have the final say in most issues.

Tuition has increased 2 to 3 percent for the past several years, and I wish more than Occupy IU were doing something about it.

What can the role of student government be? What should it be?

The current administration’s additions to campus are surely welcome, but I wonder if more substantial changes could come from policy or direct action sponsored by the student-run and student-elected IUSA.

Who will put pressure on an IU administration that doesn’t really listen to us when we speak up?

­—­ ptbeane@indiana.edu