sports water polo

Individual performers lead IU water polo team to Calif.

The No. 12 IU women’s water polo team, which touts the conference leaders in goals and saves, will make another road trip to California to compete in four matches at the Roadrunner Invitational at CSU Bakersfield.

Last week, Indiana shined at the CSU Invitational in Thorton, Colo. The Hoosiers topped both Colorado State and California State East Bay, improving their record to 13-4. Sophomore Shae Fournier tied her career high with five goals in the win against Colorado State.

The Winnipeg, Canada, native notched team highs with her eight-goal, five-steal, five-assist and six-field-block performance. She also leads all Hoosiers in goals, steals and blocks so far this season.

“She is a really good team leader,” freshman Shelby Taylor said. “It sets a really good (tone) for us. She’s not necessarily someone that’s going to speak up and tell you what to do. She leads really well by example.”

Fournier said she sees herself as a finisher on an extremely talented line, noting her opportunities are created by those around her, and she is able to finish.

After a four-game stretch in Bakersfield, Calif., the team will continue its spring break venture to Redlands, Calif., for two games Tuesday. Even with six contests in four days, Fournier said exhaustion won’t be too much of a problem.

“I think it’s more excitement than fatigue,” Fournier said. “It definitely takes a toll on you. We’ll be tired, but everyone is really excited to get matches, and it’s spring break. It’s a good atmosphere. Everyone just loves to play, and that’s what we’re here to do.”

Along with the threat Fournier brings, senior goalkeeper Cassie Wyckoff leads the Collegiate Water Polo Association with 189 this season, with 13 double-digit outings.
Additionally, Wyckoff became the top saves leader in IU history last week.

The players said they have been working on solidifying and growing stronger as a squad.

“We made a lot of good individual improvement up to this point,” Taylor said. “Going forward, we need to learn to work a little more as a team and put a team effort towards winning.”

Leading by example, Fournier is concerned with her and the team’s effort in finishing plays, a necessary fix to keep IU rolling.

“This week, we’ve been working a lot on finishing plays, that was a bit of an issue (last) weekend, and just coming together better as a team offensive-wise and defensive-wise, we need to solidate more,” Fournier said.