Column: Scouting the Rams

WHO 12th-seeded VCU (29-6, 15-3 CAA)
WHAT Chance to advance to the Sweet 16
WHEN 7:10 p.m. ET
WHERE Rose-Garden Arena, Portland
HOW TBS (Brian Anderson and Dan Bonner), IU Radio Network, Live Audio on IUHoosiers.com

Scouting VCU
Head coach Shaka Smart, third season
Leading scorer Senior guard Bradford Burgess, 13.4 ppg
Leading rebounder Sophomore forward Juvonte Reddic, 6.8 rpg
Best win Against Wichita State on Thursday, 62-59
Worst loss Home against Georgia State, 55-53
What they do well Steals. The Rams have the most steals in the country with 389 and average the most per game at 10.7.
What needs work Field goal percentage. VCU shoots the ball at 41 percent, which ranks 286th in the country. Its 33.5 three-point percentage might have something to do with that.

Projected starters

Indiana
G Jordan Hulls 11.9 points per game
G Victor Oladipo 10.8
F Will Sheehey 8.6
F Christian Watford 12.1
F Cody Zeller 15.5

VCU
G Darius Theus 8.7
G Troy Daniels 10.0
G Bradford Burgess 13.4
F Juvonte Reddic 10.4
F D.J. Haley 3.2

My take

Toto, I don't think we're in the Big Ten any more.

Tonight the Hoosiers will take on a VCU team unlike any foe they have faced in conference play. The Rams pride themselves on a defense that has recorded the most steals in Division I, including the eight they forced in a 62-59 win against Wichita State Thursday.

VCU Coach Shaka Smart's team wants to press in the full court, force turnovers and ultimately dictate the pace of the game. In its upset victory, VCU made the Shockers uncomfortable and took them out of any gameplan when the Rams' defense was clicking.

However, take away VCU's defense and there's not a whole lot there.  The Rams shoot 41 percent from the field and 33.5 from 3-point range this season and hit just 6-of-23 threes Thursday. And against Wichita State, Smart's team made only six free throws.

So how did they pull off the upset? You guessed it, VCU held the Shockers to under 39 percent from the field and 3-point range.

If IU can handle the press, force VCU to take deep shots, effectively feed the ball into freshman forward Cody Zeller and maintain composure, the Hoosiers will be looking at a rematch with Kentucky in Atlanta.