‘American Reunion’ cast, crew visit IMU for promotional tour

American Reunion

Hundreds of students stood in a line outside of the Whittenberger Auditorium in the Indiana Memorial Union.

The coiled line wrapped around half the perimeter of the third floor, leaving anxious students squirming, jumping and talking among each other in anticipation of what was to come — but Stifler’s mom was nowhere in sight.

Union Board representatives and those who were helping to organize Wednesday’s screening for the fourth theatrical installment of the American Pie franchise, “American Reunion,” scrambled in and out of the auditorium doors and offered assistance wherever it could be utilized. Everyone seemed to be shuffling to their designated places.

“I need four waters,” said Ami Lapinski, Universal Studios publicity and promotions coordinator. “I need this area cleared. I’m bringing them in.”

The time was drawing near, but the cast and crew had taken a wrong turn on their way to the event and were running late.

Moving around in every which direction was IU junior and Universal Studios intern Nikki Labaschin.

Labaschin said she was part of the brains behind the whole operation and was first confronted with the opportunity to promote the film by Lapinski, her internship coordinator, right before spring break.

She added that the promotional tour for the film will also be making stops at University of Michigan and University of Florida.

“I put (the event) on to help sponsor us,” Labaschin said.

Union Board Director of Films and IU junior Graham Davis was part of the behind-the-scenes work to pull the event together. Davis said he played a large role in the coordination and was in contact with both Lipinksi and Labaschin to make everything come full circle.

The time had finally arrived.

Shortly after 7 p.m., cast members Jason Biggs and Seann William Scott sat behind an extended table draped with a crimson tablecloth and scattered with teaser posters and promotional merchandise for the film. The two spent an hour gripping hands and grinning with excited fans as well as shy and squealing admirers alike.

Biggs, sporting a button-down dress shirt, jeans and All Star tennis shoes, agreed to every picture and signed autographs alongside his co-star, Scott, who sat to his immediate right, laughing and making conversation with fans who stopped at the table.

“Star struck,” a woman said as she walked away from taking a picture wih Biggs.
“I could’ve done better,” she said nervously to her friend.

The excited energy in the atmosphere was unmistakable. Biggs and Scott both expressed words of enthusiasm about their visit to Hoosierland.

“It’s fucking great!” Scott said.

Although the tour will make appearances at two other universities, IU is the only school at which the two American Pie stars will make an appearance in tandem. Scott said he is unable to attend the rest of the college tour because of other press for the promotion of the film.

College students are a major factor of the film’s targeted marketing audiences. Biggs said making appearances and coming to the same level as the students is important and serves as a way to give back to the fans.

“It’s a thrill, that’s for sure,” Biggs said. “It’s incredibly important. (We have) the most dedicated fans I ever met. Super loyal.”