‘The rag-tag team’: IU Figure Skating Club places 5th in competition

Skating

Tunes ranging from popular new tracks to Beach Boys classics echo in the chilled arena. Silence, otherwise, has filled the ice rink.

Women — and one man — glide across the floor with dedicated fervor, swirling into smooth jumps and spins. None of them work at the same pace.

Yet even as skaters slice their own patterns in the frost, the quietly shifting pieces of the whole converge into one team. Women embrace. One skater helps another, offering advice and an encouraging word.

All seems effortless.

“There’s a lot of effort into making it effortless,” freshman Kadie O’Malley said, laughing.

O’Malley is a member of the IU Figure Skating Club, which has existed on campus since 2003, when a group of student skaters decided one was needed. Many universities in Michigan and Ohio have figure-skating teams, but IU claims the only university team in Indiana, she said.

Anyone affiliated with IU is allowed to join.

“It’s not about being exclusive,” said Katie Rocco, self-proclaimed “Group Yeller” of the team. “Whoever wants to skate has the opportunity.”

Only students can compete, however.

Freshman Elisabeth Bell said this year was a year of rebuilding due to all the new, young skaters.

The team skates twice a week, and despite the year of regrowth, all the women help and teach each other.

There are no official coaches.

“It’s more comfortable asking the girls,” O’Malley said. “It’s less intimidating than asking a coach.”

Though the group accepts inexperienced skaters, many of the skaters bring high-school experience to the table. High-school figure skating, however, is nothing like college-team skating. College level is relaxed and comfortable, but high school is intense and competitive.

“High school is a big competition because everyone is at the same level,” freshman Mary Kiray said. “A lot of unnecessary drama.” 

She and the other girls reminisced about how dresses and appearance were always a point of comparison and rivalry.

“It’s more supportive here,” O’Malley explained. “There’s no tension because not everyone is at the same level.”

Kiray agreed.

“But even if we were at the same level, I don’t think there would be tension,” she said. “It’s more for fun now.”

However, challenges still present themselves.

“It takes perseverance,” sophomore McKenzie Snider said.

“Tough skin,” O’Malley said. “It’s a challenge to yourself more than anything else.”

Despite these challenges, the team’s dedication remains strong.

Recently, the team placed fifth out of 15 teams in the Midwest region.

Teams obtain rankings as each individual skater places at each competition throughout the year, acquiring points that add to the team’s rating. 

Many other teams have 20 or 30 women competing on the circuit, Rocco said. IU’s team had six this year and managed to beat larger teams.

“We’re all really dedicated and passionate,” Rocco said. “Most of us do as many as three or four events each competition, which is how we get the points.”

After three competitions, the competitive season is finished. Practice has been focused on the upcoming spring ice show, “World Tour.” Both freestyle skating and ice dancing will be featured, as well as the newly formed synchronized-skating team.

Synchronized skating involves eight to 20 skaters performing together and requires great precision and sharp movements, O’Malley said. 

“It’s similar to marching band,” O’Malley said. “It requires a lot of dedicated people.”

Synchronized skating used to be called “precision skating” due to its particular movements. It has yet to become an official Olympic sport, but international competitions for synchronized skating do exist.

Very few schools have varsity synchronized teams, and those that do often recruit people who are specifically trained as synchronized skaters, O’Malley said. IU’s team consists of 10 skaters, all of whom do synchronized, as well as freestyle and ice dancing.

“We’re the rag-tag team,” Rocco said.

“World Tour” will begin at 1:30 p.m. Sunday at the Frank Southern Ice Arena. Tickets cost $5. The team uses the event as a fundraiser, Kiray said.

Above all, the adrenaline rush, the challenge and the camaraderie bring the team back together each year, she said, adding that the people are her favorite part of ice skating.

“The people you meet in ice skating, you wouldn’t meet anywhere else,” Bell said with a smile.

Watch the Upcoming Spring Ice show, ‘World Tour’

WHEN 1:30 p.m. Sunday
WHERE Frank Southern Ice Arena, behind Bloomington High School South
MORE INFO Tickets are $5, and all proceeds will benefit the IU Figure Skating Club.