Survival guide: IU edition

In their natural habitats, college students are bound to encounter many dangerous situations

All-Nighters

SEXILING

Your last class just ended, and you’re heading home to study for your A215 exam. Opening the door to your dorm room, you hear heavy breathing coming from your roommate’s bed — turns out he’s already studying some basic human anatomy.

WHAT TO DO

Make a swift exit. Locate shelter until it is safe to return to your residence.

Having a conversation while your roommate is occupied probably isn’t the best idea. Wait until the next day, when you’ve cooled off and your roommate isn’t as ... distracted.

The next day, have a conversation face-to-face— not through texts or Facebook chat. It’s easier to control your emotions when you’re looking right at your roommate instead of your computer screen.

Stay away from talking about sex and focus on talking about the real issue: respecting shared space.

Avoid calling your roommate anything derogatory. Even if you do think he’s trashy, judging his actions only makes the situation worse.

PREVENTIVE MEASURES

Create a communication system with your roommate. Symbols like a tie on the door invite your neighbors to know your business. Be more cryptic with a coded note on the door that says something like “I’m studying” to keep the rest of the world out of the loop.

Schedule times in advance you and your roommate can have private time in the room, though that isn’t always a solution for last-minute hookups.

ALL-NIGHTER

Your 20-page poly-sci paper is due tomorrow by noon. So far you’ve written four pages, but it turns out you don’t have superpowers.

WHAT TO DO

Relocate. Pulling an all-nighter in your apartment, near your bed and TV, sets you up for failure. The Information Commons in the Wells Library and the Indiana Memorial Union are open 24/7.

Sit up and get serious. That couch might look comfortable now, but it won’t be doing you any favors when you pass out on your laptop.

Bring change or dollar bills for vending machines. Admit it, you’ll be drinking at least three Diet Cokes before the night is over.

Set the alarm on your phone to go off every hour in case you doze.

PREVENTIVE MEASURES

Don’t act like you don’t have time to start studying for your K201 exam until the night before ... we see you watching “Kourtney & Kim Take New York” reruns. Get in some quality study time all week long at these secret spots:

Wells Library, Media/Reserves section: smaller studying area = less chance you’ll run into friends and be distracted.

Wells Library, West Tower, 3rd floor: recently renovated to feature cushy seating, booths, and tables with lots of laptop plug-ins.

Fine Arts Library, reading room: an amazing view of Showalter Fountain and lots of light and tables.

HANGOVERS

WHAT TO DO

Drink water. Alcohol dehydrates the body, causing the headache typically associated with a hangover. Also try drinking sports drinks or water with electrolytes to get your body back in balance.

Eat greasy foods. From bacon to burgers, foods laden with grease and fat are a favorite in helping students recover from a night of drinking.

Rest. The only guaranteed way to cure a hangover is to give your body time.

If you have a friend that has been vomiting for a while or is passed out, it might be a sign of alcohol poisoning. Call for emergency assistance.

PREVENTIVE MEASURES

Keep track of your drinks and try to limit yourself to one per hour.

Drink a glass of water with every alcoholic beverage you consume.

Make sure to designate a “sober buddy” to keep the group together, help you stick to your limit, and get everyone home safely.

Eat a good meal beforehand.

Don’t drink if you’re tired, depressed, or taking medication.

If you’d like more information on developing healthier drinking habits, contact the Office of Alternative Screening and Intervention Services (OASIS) at 812-856-3898.