Local organizations increase awareness for US heart month

Twenty years ago, breast cancer and heart attack survivor Ruth Aten was diagnosed with a rare form of heart disease known as Prinzmetal’s angina.

After experiencing repeated chest pains, she visited the doctor and was told to take antibiotics that could treat a cold.

“Basically, women believe that men have more heart attacks than them,” she said. “We have different symptoms. All the research has been done on men.”

Aten, a retired service coordinator for the Department of Folklore and Musicology, said she is now healthier than ever and advocates for women’s health.

As a member of the Monroe County Extension Homemakers Club, Aten organized the Heart Healthy Hoopla event that took place Saturday at College Mall. 

The event, in honor of American Heart Month, included a variety of presentations by local organizations such as IU Health-Bloomington Hospital, the YMCA, the Twin Lakes Recreation Center in Bloomington and the American Heart Association City of Hope.

Susie Carter, director of the IU Health-Bloomington’s cardiac rehab center, gave a presentation about the symptoms of cardiovascular disease in women, which include “extreme fatigue, shortness of breath, lower abdomen pain, back-of-neck pain, nausea and fainting,” she said.

After, local groups promoting health and heart disease awareness performed on a stage near Macy’s.

The Hudsucker Posse, a local Hula-hoop dance group, performed for an audience of about 20. Mall retailers contributed to a Red Lady Fashion show, which was followed by a choral performance by the Music Makers. The event ended with a seven-woman dance routine from the Endwright Center, a senior exercise program from the Area 10 Agency on Aging in Elletsville, Ind.

“It’s part of our commitment to lead longer, stronger lives,” said Kerry Conway, executive director of the agency.

Conway said the group has been together for a little more than two years and consists of women between the ages of 58 and 88.

“There are measurable differences in terms of their balance, flexibility, range of motion and strength,” she said.

Sharol Laczkowski, the director of the Endwright Center, said the group knows 25 dances and works out to music twice a week.

Carter said she thinks the event had a good turnout.

“It’s so important that after you have a heart attack to exercise and get your health on track,” Aten said.