Jazz Ensemble concert fills Musical Arts Center

Jazz

It was a typical Monday night, but some chose to unwind in an uncommon way — listening to the soothing music of the IU Jazz Ensembles during a concert at the Musical Arts Center.

Upon entering the lobby, attendees were immediately greeted by the soft whisperings of bass and piano, which were accompanied by the strong beats of guitar and drums.

Sophomore Marshall Robbins, a Jacobs School of Music student, played the guitar for Director Jeremy Allen’s rhythm section.

“The rhythm sections for both bands switch off playing out here,” Robbins said. “Every big band plays twice a semester, so the next time we play, the other rhythm section will be out here and we’ll be up on the big stage.”

Robbins and the rest of the rhythm section played for a little longer, and then the crowd moved to the stage area, where they anxiously awaited the arrival of the Jazz Ensemble.
As the performers in Director Arthur Black’s band filed in, soft applause greeted them.

The first piece they played was titled “Oh, Lady Be Good,” an arrangement of George Gershwin’s original piece by Matt Maury.

The band had many people moving to the beat as audience members either bobbed their heads or tapped their feet.

“I’ve had the privilege of working with this group of wonderfully talented musicians for the past several weeks, and we are very happy to be able to bring you these tunes tonight,”
Black said.

The next piece, “Lennie’s Pennies,” written by Lennie Tristano, was arranged by Clare Fischer. Fischer recently passed away, and Black dedicated the song to his memory.
“He was a great man,” Black said. “He was an amazing musician, and we’re all going to miss him, so this song is dedicated to him tonight.”

Playing in the band was Alex Young, a tenor saxophonist who had an unexpected guest in the audience. Young’s former high-school principal, Jim Eggers, visited the MAC to watch him perform.

“When I was principal at Zionsville Community High School, I watched Alex come up through the ranks, and he was a wonderful student,” Eggers said. “My wife and I just recently moved back to Bloomington, and when I saw that he was going to be playing tonight, we decided to come see him. Both Alex and the entire band did a wonderful job.”

The last song played by the Arthur Black Band was “After You’ve Gone,” which was arranged by Bill Holman. The band stood and bowed before making its way off the stage.

“Thank you for staying with us tonight for our first concert of the semester,” Allen said. “We’re going to hear from some very talented musicians this evening, and I hope you all enjoy the performance.”

Opening its portion of the evening with the song “One by One” by Wayne Shorter, arranged by Ken Slone, the Allen Band began with bold entrance notes of the
instruments.

“It means everything to us to have a supportive audience,” Allen said. “Now, this last song is a little different, and I think you will enjoy it. Thank you again for coming out tonight.”

The song, titled “454,” was named after the room in which the band practiced. It was a blues piece that members of the band had composed and arranged themselves. Taking different elements of other songs, they created a piece that ended the night on a “fundamental element of jazz.”

“I moved down here after retiring two years ago so I could see my former students,” Eggers said. “There’s nothing more enjoyable than to be able to see the kids you watched in their younger days become adults. I have really enjoyed this performance and seeing my former student play. And, of course, there’s nothing like some good old jazz on a Monday night.”