Evangelical activist group causes stir among students on campus

Preacher

Super Bowl plans for a group of Kentucky preachers included making a stop at IU so students on campus could hear their warnings about the condemnation of sinners.

The two preachers, John McGlowne and Kerrigan Skelly, are part of the organization PinPoint Evangelism.

They travel to heavily accessed public openings and more than 75 colleges and universities across the country to ensure their voices are heard and their messages are received.

Students shouted remarks as they passed by the preachers. A woman wearing what McGlowne seemed to consider a low-cut top walked by without paying any attention to McGlowne or his associates.

“Women walk around with stuff like this on,” McGlowne said, gesturing to the woman as she walked by. “Exposing their breasts to people, and then men lust after that.”

McGlowne hoisted a large sign over his head, warning against what he believes to be the evils of society.

He said he believes individuals such as homosexuals and members of other religious groups are wrong and will be condemned.

A man walking through the crowd stopped briefly to offer dialogue.

“Jesus is God. I love Jesus,” he said. He then paused. “Too bad I’m gay.”

The crowd began to grow, and students started to offer rebuttals.

“Would you like one of these?” McGlowne asked, extending his arm, pamphlet in hand, to a woman in the crowd.

“No, thank you,” she said.

“Why not?” McGlowne asked the woman. “It’s just a piece of paper with Jesus on it.”

“I don’t believe in what you’re talking about,” the woman said.
McGlowne asked why.

“Because I believe gay people should get married,” she said. “I believe I should have sex when I want. I believe in everything that’s on there.” She pointed at a sign McGlowne held in the air.

“It’s not OK, young lady,” McGlowne. “You’re going to go to the fire forever.”

Senior and Campus Crusade for Christ member Karen Groth stood alongside McGlowne, citing verses out of a Bible she kept in her handbag.

Groth attempted to convey to McGlowne her messages of acceptance
for all.

Tears began to roll down her face and whimpers sounded as McGlowne called her out and argued against her evidence.

Freshman Isaac Miller was walking past the entrance behind Woodburn Hall when he took notice of the Evangelists’ demonstration.

He said he called his friend, freshman Amanda Loch, and decided to take action.

The two made a makeshift sign and stood in the same vicinity as the preachers, offering free hugs to all who passed.

“We accept everyone! Free Hugs!” the sign read.

“It’s wrong to make people feel like they’re going to hell for having their own
beliefs,” Miller said. “Everyone has the opportunity to be who they are without being judged or tormented.”

Groth said this is not the first time the street Evangelist group has caused a stir with its presentation.

McGlowne said the group is headed to Indianapolis to preach to the masses within the Super Bowl Village.

“Jesus commands us to go out and tell people to turn from their sin and trust him,” he said. “So that’s the message we have. Most people don’t want to heed it, but that’s beside the point.”