sports water polo

Cassie Wyckoff sets IU record for saves as team wins 3 of 4 during weekend

After a week’s rest, the women’s water polo team fell in a tight rematch against Maryland, but defeated its other three opponents to extend their record to 11-4.

In the first game of its weekend, The No. 11 Hoosiers defeated No. 16 Hartwick 13-7 in both teams' first division matchup.

IU was carried by hat tricks from freshman Summer Creighton and sophomore Meghan Lappan to help Indiana score the team's most goals in a game thus far this season.

"It was nice to open up conference play with the type of performance we had against Hartwick,” IU Coach Billy King said, “We were solid on both ends and really came out aggressive from the start."

In the team's second matchup, the Hoosiers were tested by Brown, yet prevailed 12-11 after holding off a second-half Bears comeback.

Of note in IU’s victory was senior goalkeeper Cassie Wyckoff setting the IU all-time saves record. Wyckoff recorded 12 saves, giving her 900 for her career, nine more than the mark set by Jessica Goldner in 2005.

IU cruised in its third matchup, shutting out Marist for three periods while tacking on nine goals during the full game. The Hoosiers were in control the entire game, going ahead 5-0 and leading 8-1 at one point.

In yet another nail biter, the result was different for IU in its second match against Maryland this season. Indiana fell 9-8 in the team's only blemish of the weekend.

Neck-and-neck all game and tied at seven apiece late, the Hoosiers allowed two goals including a five-meter penalty. After sophomore Shae Fournier cut the lead to just one, IU wasn’t able to even things up, falling by just a goal.  

"We had some lapses against Maryland that made things tough," King said. "They're a talented squad and they made plays when they needed to. There are some good things we can take away from this weekend and we'll get back after it next week at Colorado State."