sports women's soccer

2012 women’s soccer class includes 11 new arrivals from all around continent

The 2012 signing class for the IU women’s soccer program was announced Wednesday via news release.

“We are very excited and happy for all 11 of the new players who will join us in the fall,” IU Coach Mick Lyon said in the release. “Talent that I am very confident will be a big impact in the future of IU women’s soccer.

“These young women have already shown me that they are hungry to get started and help get this program to the top of the Big Ten.”

Lyon and his staff recruited eight midfielders. Perhaps one will earn the spot of graduated Devon Beach, a midfielder who started 75 of 76 matches in her career.

Rachel Romero of Salesian High School in Richmond, Calif., scored 41 goals in her high school career and assisted on 29 others.

Jessie Bujouves of London, Ontario, is a full member of the Canadian National Training Program and was on the provisional roster of the Canadians’ U17 World Cup team.

Midfielder/forward Kayleigh Steigerwalt led Columbus (Ind.) North High School in goals scored in each of her four seasons. She owns the school record for goals in a season with 39 and for a career with 113.

The IU offense scored just eight goals in 11 Big Ten matches in 2011.

Five of the recruits hail from California, while only two of them are from Indiana.

Lyon recruited four backs to help bolster a defense that finished 11th last season in goals allowed (2.11).

Lyon recruited Modesto, Calif., goalkeeper Katie Greulich, as graduated Lindsay Campbell finished her eligibility with 13 career shutouts, good for second all-time at IU.

— Micah McVicker