ObamaCare says: 'Sex is awesome'

WE SAY Obama isn't doing everything he can, but at least he's doing something

Priest Birth Control

As many of us are doubtlessly aware, recent reform of Health Care legislation means that health insurance companies are now required to cover prescription birth control as a preventative care measure without a co-pay.

This is controversial in much the same way that the pope is a little religious, and revolves around some of the same tenets.

Some see this act of reform as little more than a cheap attempt to appeal to a constituency the president previously alienated by overruling a proposal that would have legalized the sale of emergency birth control medicines to minors.

Others argue these efforts do not go far enough, the rationale being that many people who are unable to afford birth control are also unlikely to have health insurance.

But under the new policy, young women, many college age, would remain covered by any insurance their parents possess, thus offering options to the demographic most at-risk for unplanned pregnancy.

Predictably, the majority of the resistance comes from conservatives and Christians who have raised moral and theological objections to this measure.

The Catholic Church has formally denounced the change, vocally reiterating its belief that emergency contraceptives, such as the “morning-after pill,” are considered abortifacients.

Nevertheless, advocates of the bill praise the administration’s work in curbing unwanted pregnancies. President of NARAL Pro-Choice America Nancy Keenan is one of many supporters, claiming, “Currently, nearly one in three women finds it difficult to pay for birth control, and that’s why the United States has a far higher unintended-pregnancy rate than other industrialized countries.”

In spite of the numerous criticisms leveled against this reform, we applaud it as a large first step in the right direction.

Following so closely on the heels of numerous states’ decisions to cease funding Planned Parenthood, it is high time government concerned itself with the issues of women’s health.

President Barack Obama’s administration pragmatically acknowledges that sex — beyond its reproductive function — is a lot of fun.

This position has not been publicly assumed, ahem, since the Clinton era.

It’s good to know someone else agrees that the disapproval of the Christians is a lesser concern than millions of unintended children being born to unprepared, unfit or unwilling mothers.

But never let it be said that we don’t keep an open mind.

If the advent of free birth control will be the death of morality and values by plunging the world into an unspeakable apocalypse of depravity and anonymous sex, please know that newspaper columnists make fantastic lovers.