IUOS offers weather advice

With winter temperatures dropping below freezing, maintaining a comfortable temperature indoors can be pricey, according to IU’s Office of Sustainability.

To help students stay warm and save money, IUOS and student-group Volunteers in Sustainability have partnered to offer winter weatherization workshops.

These workshops, made possible by an IUSA grant, are targeted to students who live off-campus and see a spike in utility bills in the winter months.

Julia Denison, a senior studio art major and coordinator for Volunteers in Sustainability, said the real point of the workshops is to show how simple these changes are and how they can save money.

“Most people wouldn’t think to go out and buy this stuff on their own,” she said. “You might not think it’s important, but these are things people can use in their permanent homes in the future.”

Rachel Irvine, an intern with the IUOS and a senior environmental major, said although the workshops are targeted to students who pay utility bills, anyone is welcome to attend.

“We certainly won’t turn anyone away,” Irvine said. “Students will learn ways to make their homes more energy-efficient in the winter.”

Not only learning about weatherization techniques, attendees are also given supplies to make their housing more energy efficient. These materials include weather stripping, light outlet insulation covers, window insulation and more.

“Some of the materials aren’t allowed in dorm rooms, and we always tell students to ask permission from landlords before using anything,” Irvine said. “We also take the group around the Office of Sustainability because it is a house so we can show them how to use the materials. It’s pretty hands-on.”

Denison said it’s beneficial to see energy-saving techniques actually being used.
“When you see it in action, you see how important it is,” she said.

Irvine said while using these winterization techniques will save money, it is also helping the environment.

“In the end, people are making their homes more energy-efficient while saving money,” Irvine said.

There are three workshops offered, and the first on Jan. 24 had about 10 people attend, Irvine said. IU Director of Sustainability Bill Brown leads the workshops.

“Most students live off-campus, and a big part of their expenses relate to utility payments,” Brown said in a press release. “These workshops will offer simple techniques to recover those lost dollars while conserving energy and water resources.”

The two workshops left will be held 2 to 3 p.m. Friday and 4 to 5 p.m. Feb. 1 at the IU Office of Sustainability at 704 E. 10th St.