Column: Avi’s five-eighths season review

All I have are my eyes and my brain. Those are the things I use to watch and assess how IU plays. The last plus and minus signs I saw were next to check marks on my elementary school report card. I adjust shoelace knots and collars, not efficiency ratings.

Below are a couple Hoosiers who have exceeded my expectations and a pair I know is capable of playing better.

Ballin’

Matt Roth — I’m not sure folks realize just how consistent Roth has been this season because Hoosier fans have grown accustomed to his 3-pointer
marksmanship.

• This season, the 6-foot-3-inch guard from Washington, Ill., has the best 3-pointer shooting percentage in the country at 61.4 percent. Think about that for a second. IU has the most dependable long-range shooter in the country.

• In the past six games, dating back to Jan. 5, Roth has shot 15-of-20 from 3-pointer range; overall, he is 27-of-44 this year.

• He has attempted just two field goals that weren’t from beyond the arc. To put this into perspective, the amount of 3-pointers Roth has made this season equals his rebounds, assists, steals and turnovers combined.

Cody Zeller — Like Roth, I think Zeller’s accomplishments so far this season have been downplayed because they were expected. But even in physical Big Ten play, the 6-foot-11-inch freshman’s scoring numbers have not dipped.

• Zeller’s 65.9 field goal percentage is sixth-best in the country and best in the conference.

• His 15.1 points per game average is seventh-highest in the Big Ten and top for a freshman.

• Although his rebounding numbers have been underwhelming, a team-wide trend, Zeller has scored in double figures in every Big Ten game since the Hoosiers opened conference play with a loss at Michigan State.

Fallin’:

Victor Oladipo — It really pains me to put Oladipo in this spot. I love this sophomore guard’s enthusiasm and the swagger he plays with. He is vocal, wears his heart on his sleeve and always seems to give this team a boost when they need it. But lately, the light-hearted energy I saw from Oladipo in press conferences earlier this season has turned to a muted, frustrated demeanor. His play on the court has matched this.

• No formal stat exists to keep track of momentum-boosting plays, to my knowledge, but when’s the last time Oladipo had a signature electrifying moment? Those plays in which he steals the ball and drives toward the hoop with fans’ heart rates increasing as they anticipate another thunderous dunk. It’s been a while.

• In conference play, Oladipo has shot 26-of-62 from the field for 41.9 percent after shooting 52-of-99 (52 percent) during the non-conference schedule.

• Oladipo is not a prolific shooter — that’s just not his game — as he is shooting 24.2 percent from 3-pointer range (8-for-33) this season. But I always expect the aggressive guard to get his points from the foul line after drawing contact in the lane. However, he has averaged just two foul shots in eight Big Ten games, shooting 9-of-17 from the charity stripe.

Christian Watford — This one might come as a surprise to some because, although Watford has been huge for the Hoosiers at times this season, his stock has been falling sharply as of late. Again, Watford isn’t listed here because he’s playing poorly, but because I know he can be better.

• In the past five games, dating back to IU’s win at Penn State on Jan. 8, Watford has shot an embarrassing 13–of-46 from the field, 28.2 percent.

• Not to be too much of a softie, but I have to give credit where it’s due. Watford has been very efficient from the 3-pointer line, shooting 47.8 percent, fourth-best in the Big Ten.

Whatever happened to ...

Derek Elston — Maybe it’s the injury to the face Elston sustained earlier this season, but this junior forward has been MIA pretty much all season. I thought Elston could be one of IU’s key contributors off the bench along with Will Sheehey: A sixth or seventh starter, if you will. But the numbers don’t lie, and all of Elston’s have been down this season.

• This past year, Elston averaged 15.5 minutes a game. That number, likely due to added depth at forward from Zeller’s presence, is down to 11.7 minutes. In IU’s three-game losing streak, he played four, five and six minutes, respectively.

• At this point in the season last year, Elston had scored in double figures in four games. Thus far, he has done this twice, scoring 11 points against Stony Brook and 10 versus Gardner-Webb.