sports women's basketball

IU to travel to take on St. Bonaventure team

Bball v Oklahoma State

IU Coach Felisha Legette-Jack said she isn’t happy with the first part of the season.
With a team that is 2-5 with a three-game losing streak, few coaches would be.

The Hoosiers will be on the road today to face St. Bonaventure (6-1), a team that already has a road win against West Virginia but also a loss to Delaware at home.

IU is also going to have to weather an ACL tear to senior forward and co-captain Georgie Jones, a player averaging 8.8 points and 8.2 rebounds per game before going down to injury against Virginia.

“It’s a big blow,” Legette-Jack said. “She’s not going to play the rest of the season.”
St. Bonaventure guard Jessica Jenkins averages 13.9 points per game to lead the team while forward Megan Van Tatenhove follows with 11.9 points per game.

This is the third meeting between the two schools. The Hoosiers won last year 50-44 in Bloomington.

IU is led by junior forward Aulani Sinclair with 13.3 points and junior guard Jasmine McGhee with 11.4 points per game.

“During the offseason I focused a lot on my shooting,” Sinclair said.
Sinclair put up 23 points in IU’s loss against Oklahoma State on Sunday, going 5-for-10 from three-point range.

“I just went out there and gave it everything I had,” she said.

Legette-Jack said the problem the Hoosiers had with Oklahoma State’s ability to shoot and make three-pointers proved to be one of the difference makers in the game.

The road-seasoned Hoosiers play their fifth road game of the season against the Bonnies as they look to improve on their slow start.

“I told this team that we are going to be good late because we are still getting to know ourselves and each other,” Legette-Jack said. “If we stay focused, we are going to be good, and we are going to be good soon. We’ve learned that if we lose, we have to learn lessons through those games.”