IU explores 3D technology

Those in attendance at the IU Cinema Tuesday night were treated to a variety of stereoscopic 3D short films by the Advanced Visualization Laboratory and the Department of Telecommunications. 

This 3D Student Film Showcase featured eight films created by students, faculty and staff at IU. The evening was also an opportunity to learn about the 3D research being done at the University.

“This is an emerging art form in the modern era,” graduate student Sean Connolly said. ”People don’t realize that 3D has been around for more than 173 years.”

Senior systems analyst for the AVL Chris Eller joined Connolly on stage to inform the crowd of IU’s advances in 3D technology, as well as its history.

”We sent 17 movies for a screening at an L.A. film festival, and 12 of them were screened,” Eller said.

He also said it was that exposure that finally got IU recognition among film schools.
Just a few months after “Avatar’s” box office success in 2009, they decided to create a library of 3D content. The problem they ran into was time.

“It took so long to make that first movie. We realized we’d have to teach others this technology if we were going to get the team we needed to stay on top of things,” Connolly said.

The lab’s variety of 3D films illustrates how times have changed since those beginning stages.

“These days, broadcast companies are calling us asking for content,” Connolly said. “Even China is looking to open up a 3D broadcast network in January.”

The lab’s visual research has led them to use 3D technology not only for films, but for binocular vision research as well.

“We are seeing if displays with high fidelity can be used to screen for binocular vision issues,” Eller said. “If someone watches a film in high fidelity and has problems seeing it, they may need vision treatment.”

Eller said research is also diving into virtual reality, along with 3D films, and advances continue to be made in the field.

“We really want to be in a position to take advantage of some of the things we’ve invested our money in,” Connolly said. ”So far it seems to be paying off.”

The IU Cinema will be celebrating its first birthday in January 2012. Eller invited all to come and celebrate what he called “one of the most advanced cinemas in the world.”

“Why are we doing this? Because it’s a great thing to do,” Eller said. “We’re on the cutting edge, and we like it.”