Column: Time heals all for IU in turn-around game

This column was all but written with a little less than eight minutes left in the game.

IU Coach Tom Crean and his squad still cannot win on the road, beating themselves through turnovers, not enough touches in the post, poor rebounding and a lack of trips to the foul line.

With the Hoosiers down 63-56, an official television timeout was taken, and IU showed something that hasn’t been in Bloomington for the last three seasons: poise, composure and the ability and confidence to come from behind and win.

And to do all this on the road at an ACC school on Tobacco Road? Somebody pinch me.

During the next 4.5 minutes, IU went on a 15-5 run, capped off by a clutch Christian Watford three-pointer, to take a three-point lead. Eight of those points came from freshman phenom Cody Zeller, who proved to be the catalyst for the Hoosiers’ success in the second half after scoring just six in the first.

Even when the Hoosiers had a slim lead late in the first half and early into the second, it really didn’t feel like IU was playing well enough to have the advantage on the scoreboard.

The Hoosiers were their own worst enemy, committing 13 turnovers, being beat on the glass and attempting just three foul shots in the first half. My prediction of an N.C.

State victory and the Hoosiers’ first loss of the season was coming to fruition. Sure, IU was down only seven, but a stagnant offense that produced just four points from 18:01 to 12:54 in the second half did not make me believe a comeback was on the
horizon.

Crean’s past teams did not possess the poise and confidence to execute adjustments and overcome a deficit on the road, so why should this one?

Maybe I was numb from the three 20-loss seasons. Maybe the six easy wins caused me to think this IU squad would be exposed for the mediocre team I thought it was.
Whatever the reason, I, and I’m guessing quite a few of you, were ready to chalk this one up as a loss.

But the Hoosiers, led by a freshman, nonetheless, put together a game-changing run and left Raleigh, N.C., undefeated, proving they could win on the road, come from behind to win and the real kicker — come from behind ... while on the road.

This was the first win for Crean at IU when his team trailed with five minutes left.

Why? Because this is a player-driven team, something Crean and his players said a lot at Big Ten Media Day before this season began. The players and coaches are largely the same from last season, so why the drastic change in play?

It’s because the Hoosiers are drawing strength and confidence from each other while on the floor. They’re not relying solely on Crean and the coaching staff, but rather, taking accountability and believing they can win.

That’s why this team is different. That’s why this team surprised me, and maybe you, and is beginning to draw attention from across the country.

In real time, eight minutes is easily forgettable, but for the Hoosiers on Wednesday, it was enough time to rewrite the script for their young season.

­— azaleon@indiana.edu