Bus schedule to change this weekend

Due to sorority rush, 10 campus buses will be used specially for the recruitment 20 Party this Saturday and Sunday.

These buses transport the recruitment women across campus to common sorority house locations like the North Jordan extension and Third Street, said Dan Leathers, the student supervisor for Campus Bus Service.

“This year and last year, we’ve used basically 10 buses to run the rush service,” he said. “In previous years, we’ve had a couple more, but we’ve kind of cut down.”

These buses will be marked with “Rush” in the head sign on the buses, Leathers said, and they will run two opposite routes around campus, with five buses on each route.
Senior Katie Hannah, director of operations for recruitment for Panhellenic Association, set up these bus routes and the bus schedule with the help of Leathers.

“I literally planned out where the routes are going to go, where the stops are going to be,” Hannah said. “They’ll be circling campus basically the entire day both days.”

These bus routes have been altered because what used to be 19 Party is now 20 Party, due to the addition of Theta Phi Alpha.

This addition has added time to the bus routes, so they decided to have two routes running both ways to reduce time, Hannah said.

For example, last year, if a woman wanted to get from the sorority Delta Gamma to Eigenmann Hall, she would have had to go all the way around campus, down Third Street to Indiana Avenue and then down 10th Street.

This year, with the changes, she can go north on Jordan Avenue to 10th Street to save time.

“We changed it because we wanted to get the girls there quicker in the morning and home faster,” Hannah said.

Leathers said recruitment should not have too big of an impact on the normal bus schedule that students use on weekends.

“Since it’s on Saturday and Sunday, there are only one of each of the three buses anyway normally,” he said.

“There’s only one A bus, one B bus and one E route. So essentially, the added 10 Rush buses won’t do anything except possibly confuse people waiting for a bus. They might think it’s the bus they’re waiting for.”