6-month anniversary awareness event to offer poems, support for Spierers

A prayer and support tree will be placed in Fountain Square Mall for one month to encourage awareness about the disappearance of IU student Lauren Spierer.

The kickoff for exhibiting the tree will begin at 7 p.m. Saturday, the 6-month anniversary of Spierer’s disappearance, at Smallwood Plaza. The tree will be exhibited in Fountain Square Mall until Jan. 3.

Supportive poems will be read and members of the public are invited to read. People wishing to read something must contact the administrators of the Facebook event “Support the Spierers.” Refreshments will be provided at the kick-off event. After the poem readings, attendees will walk to Fountain Square Mall and view the tree.

Bag tags will be hung on the tree, and members of the public are invited to take them in exchange for letters of support for Lauren’s family. Letters should be placed on the tree.

If people wishing to write letters of support cannot attend the tree exhibit, they are encouraged to mail their letters to “Support The Spierers,” PO Box 284, Bloomington, Ind., 47402.

Event organizers asked that items of monetary value not be left at the tree for security reasons.

“Let’s shower the Spierers with even more support during this difficult month,” the Facebook page for the event says.

— Zach Ammerman