sports tennis

Women’s tennis team ends year with Western Michigan Invite

Result
The Hoosiers participated in the Western Michigan Invitational in Kalamazoo, Mich. The team finished with five wins in singles play.

The Action
Day one of the challenge featured a round of singles and two rounds of doubles.

Sophomore Sophie Garre, senior Evgeniya Vertesheva and junior Leslie Hureau were victorious in their singles matches. In doubles action, IU went 6-3 with the tandems of Hureau and freshman Shannon Murdy, Vertesheva and sophomore Kayla Fujimoto and Garre and freshman Alecia Kauss, each winning twice Friday.

On Saturday, the Hoosiers went 6-2 in singles matches and 2-0 in doubles. In singles action, freshman Katie Klyczek, Vertesheva, Fujimoto and Murdy won in straight sets. Hureau and freshman Ariel Beckerman beat their opponents in three sets. The duos of Fujimoto, Vertesheva and Kauss, Garre were victorious against their opposition.

During the final day of competition, the Hoosiers finished the day 5-4 in singles action. Garre, Vertesheva, Klyczek Fujimoto and Kauss won in straight sets.

Quote of Note
“We accomplished what we needed to this weekend,” IU Coach Lin Loring said. “We were also able to further evaluate our doubles teams, which was really helpful.”

Notable Number
68. The number of days until the Hoosiers take to the court again in the adidas IU Winter Invitational on Jan. 14, 2012.