We need LGBT history in schools

SB48

Back in July, California became the first state to require the inclusion of historical contributions of lesbian, gay, bisexual, transgender people in public school textbooks.

The legislation, SB48, passed 49-25 in the state assembly and was signed into effect days later by Democratic Gov. Jerry Brown.

Brown said in a written statement, “History should be honest,” and called the bill “an important step forward for our state.”

Since its passage, SB48 has faced harsh criticism. Groups opposing  SB48 filed paperwork again on Nov. 17 with the Attorney General’s Office to repeal the law.

Yet, the law is an important step forward for our country which has long ignored or suppressed the voices of those whose sexuality and gender identity don’t cohere to the rigorously enforced societal norm.

At the beginning of next year, teachers and faculty will include in their curricula the accomplishments and historic events of LGBT people.

The language of the bill was broad, so implementation of this history will be decided at a local level. If the state-sponsored education on LGBT history is actually comprehensive and respectful, it’d be an even more potent victory.

Regardless, this is a hugely important moment in the ongoing struggle to acquire civil rights and compassionate understanding of an oppressed minority. I anticipate LGBT advocacy groups will ensure the correct enforcement of the policy.

The rhetoric deployed against this legislation is rather disturbing, however. Mentions of “indoctrination,” the “homosexual agenda” and sexual “brainwashing” have abounded. These detractors are lambasting a bill that promotes equality because the existing inequality maintains America’s hierarchal social structure.

I’d especially like to look at the language used by stopsb48.com to demonstrate precisely why SB48 is so important. Written beside the picture of a well-manicured, white heterosexual couple and their smiling children are the alarming words: “It costs too much. It goes too far.”

First of all, the bill’s cost is only a concern at all because of the tragic allocation of resources in this backward country. Public education should be the top priority of every state’s spending. Instead, we fund endless wars and $2 billion trips to Mars.

Secondly, the bill goes too far only if ending discrimination goes too far.
Stop SB48 calls itself a “coalition of pro-family organizations.” The alignment of family with anti-LGBT sentiment is nothing new, but it remains false and harmful. Heterosexual reproduction is not a prerequisite for the creation and maintenance of loving, caring families.

The group claims the bill does nothing to explicitly end bullying, as many of its proponents claimed. When a group of people is no longer implicitly condemned by the education system, they will be less subjected to hate and misunderstanding.

The bullying of LGBT children is widespread and largely unchecked. It has taken a real toll on these kids, too many of whom have ended their lives because of it. Brown and the considerable majority of California officials
understood this.

California has taken an all-important first step in setting a precedent for public education that includes histories of once invisible people. Indiana, and every state in this nation, should follow California’s lead.

Public visibility of LGBT people, especially early in children’s education, is a vital step in creating a less hateful world.

­— ptbeane@indiana.edu