Police still searching for suspect in shooting

While Bloomington police search for the suspect who shot and killed a Pizza X delivery driver early Friday, the store where the driver worked has announced a fundraising effort to assist his family.

The driver, Adam Sarnecki, 22, died at 4:40 a.m. after surgery at IU Health Bloomington Hospital, Monroe County Coroner Nicole Meyer said. He left behind a fiancée and three young children he cared for.

The restaurant has created an account called the Adam Sarnecki Family Fund at United Commerce Bank, according to a Saturday announcement from One World Enterprises, the company that owns Pizza X.

All sales made Monday, Tuesday and Wednesday at the south location will be donated to the fund.

Sarnecki was shot shortly after midnight Friday behind the store, located at 2443 S. Walnut St., Bloomington Police Lt. Bill Parker said.

Parker said Sarnecki told the arriving officers that as he returned from a delivery and pulled into the store’s parking lot, he saw a man trying to break into another
employee’s car.

“He confronted the man, who turned and shot the driver,” Parker said.

Sarnecki was shot on the right side of his body, just below the chest. The suspect then fled into a wooded area behind the store.

Two Pizza X employees in the store said they did not hear gunfire but called police when Sarnecki came inside after being shot. Sarnecki was able to describe the shooter as a white male of unknown age and medium height who had a goatee and was wearing a brown hoodie.

The area behind Pizza X was blocked off with police tape, and Bloomington Police Department officers searched the area with canine units and flashlights soon after the shooting. Police searched two cars parked behind the store.

Two men found in two different locations near the area were taken to the police station and cooperated in interviews before being released, Parker said. A police canine led police to an area near Winslow Court, but a suspect was not located.

Detectives and officers gathered evidence and will continue investigating, Parker said. He said it was not clear if the shooting was related to a separate shooting just days earlier on Halloween.

In that incident, a 60-year-old woman was shot in the thigh as she walked her dog on West Ninth Street. The victim told police that a man emerged from a wooded area at the street’s dead end and shot her without saying a word.

Parker said the gun used in that shooting was a .380 caliber semiautomatic handgun.

As of Sunday, the police were unable to provide any new information about either case, BPD Sgt. Shane Rasche said.

The Pizza X Twitter account (@PizzaX) began circulating the hashtag “#RIPAdam” midday Friday, and Pizza X posted a statement on its Facebook page.

“We are in somewhat of a daze today, and Pizza X South will remain closed tonight in support of our staff there,” the company said. “We are very sad today.”

Anyone with information about the shooting is asked to call the police department at 812-339-4477.

Charles Scudder and Mark Keierleber contributed to this report.