Federal criminal agents discuss job opportunities

Several federal agents were in town this week.

The IU Criminal Justice Student Association had a federal law enforcement panel Wednesday with agents from six federal agencies.

“Looking on the Internet can only get you so far,” said Mitchell Morris, CJSA president.

Federal Bureau of Investigation

FBI Special Agent Russell Warlick grew up in Indiana and has been with the Bureau for seven years. He works in the Bloomington office.

He spoke about what looks good on applications: accounting, math, languages and a law background.

His hiring process lasted more than a year, which is fast, he said.

“Set your expectations really low on how quickly things will get done,” Warlick said.

Internships are a good starting point to being hired by the Bureau, he said.

Immigration and Customs Enforcement

Special Agent Chris Bryant from the Homeland Security Investigations department has been working in Indianapolis since 2004.

Bryant is an IU alumnus who went through the ROTC program and earned an army commission.

He said he has a variety of opportunities in Indianapolis, especially with an international hub for flights and packages.

“Being in a smaller office, you really get the feel of doing a myriad of work,” Bryant said.

He discussed disqualifiers for getting a job, like felonies and physical disabilities. The responsibilities include smuggling and sex offenses, technology security and fraud.

Naval Criminal Investigative Service

Special Agent Sherilyn Klueber works in Crane, Ind., but has had several offices in her eight-year career, including a stint in Italy.

She said it’s normal for agents to jump from U.S. assignments to overseas.

“NCIS has offices all over the world, essentially anywhere there is a naval or marine corps base,” Klueber said.

U.S. Postal Inspection Service

Inspectors Laura Carter and Doug Biel from the Indianapolis office discussed the workings of their jobs.

Biel graduated IU with a bachelor’s in criminal justice. He said he learned early that the field was highly competitive and wanted to diversify himself for his career.

There are exams and assessments through their own center, Biel said, which possibly leads to acceptance into the academy.

The service protects the postal service and its employees from scams and threats, as well as provide security, he said.

U.S. Secret Service

Special Agent Darren Brock from the Indianapolis office served as a police officer in his hometown of Knoxville, Tenn., before becoming a Secret Service agent.

In the application process, there are intense background and financial investigations.

“You won’t be able to hide anything,” Brock said. “The polygraph is absolutely brutal.”

The Secret Service’s most visible responsibility is protection, he said, for current and former presidents, first ladies and vice presidents. They also protect foreign heads of state who visit and investigate financial fraud.

Air Force Office of Special Investigations

Special Agents William Rouse and Jason Hein discussed investigative jobs, which include technology agents, forensic consultants and recruiting spies who collect human intelligence.

“You get the chance to serve in some very challenging environments,” Rouse, an alumnus, said.

The Air Force Office of Special Investigations is similar to NCIS, aside from one difference, he said.

“We would never land planes on ships because that’s crazy,” Rouse said, joking.