Delta Sigma Theta gets involved

Sorority’s week of events geared to get name out there

Delta Sigma Theta sorority Etiquette with friends

The Gamma Nu chapter of Delta Sigma Theta sorority is sponsoring a series of events this week, ranging from an etiquette dinner to a talk about women’s sexual health and pleasure.

“It is called iDelta,” said Paige Thomas, senior and hospitality chair for the chapter. “Like iPhone. ‘iDelta — There’s a program for that.’”

The sorority is a part of the National Pan-Hellenic Council, an association of multicultural fraternities and sororities.

Because of this, it is required to put on at least one week of events every year as a chapter.

“Every semester, we have a week of events,” said Jatika Exposé, senior and second vice president of the chapter.

The sorority is the first African-American public service sorority, Exposé said. This means the sorority takes a more political and active role in the community than a typical greek house might.

With each event, the sorority strives to meet five programmatic thrusts: educational, political, international, economic awareness and development and mental and physical health.

The events of iDelta are all aimed to meet those tenants and to push the limits of acceptability.

“We’re talking about really taboo topics like women’s sexual health and intra-racial stereotyping,” said Brit’ney McTush, senior and publicity chair for
the chapter.

These events are open to men or women of any background, demographic or denomination, Exposé said.

“Delta’s always involved with what the community needs at the time,”
McTush said.

Through iDelta, the sisters said they hope to spread word about what Delta stands for in the greek community and even further, into greater Bloomington.

“It’s not about us,” Thomas said. “It’s always been about community and continuing the legacy.”