City seeks musicians for summer music series

For more than 25 years, the City of Bloomington Parks and Recreation Department has coordinated the Summer Performing Arts Series to showcase
local talent.

The department will continue the tradition for summer 2012 and is seeking musicians and bands to participate in the summer series, which will take place May through September in city parks.

Applications must be postmarked by Dec. 16. The series consists of free concerts featuring a variety of entertainment in Peoples Park, Bryan Park and Third Street Park throughout the summer.

Kristy LeVert, facility and program coordinator at the city’s Parks and Recreation Department, said having concerts in the park is “just a natural fit” for Bloomington.
“Bloomington has a wonderful music scene,” LeVert said. “The parks are a great place for people to gather, so it made sense to hold concerts there.”

The summer series  showcases a variety of music, including blues, original folk and Celtic.

“We try to book everything,” LeVert said.

Some local favorites from past summer series will return.
Names like Jenn Cristy and Krista Detor are expected to draw in the crowds, but new bands and musicians are added to the performances every year.
The series is an opportunity for up-and-coming musicians to perform and get exposure.

“It is a great opportunity just because the city advertises a lot and draws in great crowds, especially for bands just getting started,” LeVert said.

Artists are selected for the series based on their musical submissions to the city’s Parks and Recreation Department. A panel of Community Events members looks at the type and quality of performance, availability, past performance record and cost.
People interested in performing in the summer 2012 series must submit an artist application, a CD or DVD of their music, current photos and any recent publicity that has been printed for the artist or group to the City of Bloomington Parks and Recreation Department.   

“I hope to have another great summer series full of variety for the community to enjoy,” LeVert said. “It is definitely fulfilling for me to have 600 people in the park at a concert I
coordinated.”