City council elections to take place today

Four incumbents are opposed by three hopefuls for three Bloomington City Council At-Large positions and one District 1 position. Voting is today from 6 a.m. to 6 p.m.

Each candidate was asked about issues like a proposed merger between Bloomington Transit and IU’s campus bus service and student issues, and was given the chance to give additional comments.

At-Large
Susan Sandberg

Susan Sandberg (D) is the current president of the council. She started her city council career in 2007. Sandberg came to IU in the 1970s and has remained here, except for a few years in the 1980s, she said. She is an active volunteer in the community and is a professor at IU.

Priorities this term

Sandberg said she would continue objectives initiated last term, such as dealing with development issues and providing affordable housing options.

Thoughts on a bus merger
Sandberg is in favor of a merger.
“I think the decision is in the details, however,” she said.
It’s a political situation statewide and issues need to be addressed before making a decision, she said.

Student issues
“I certainly have concerns about student safety and issues regarding drinking and being safe,” Sandberg said.

Additional comments
“My past four years have been led to anti-poverty work. We have to be a city responsible to the needs of everyone,” she said.

Thoughts on Occupy Bloomington movement
As long as it’s a lawful movement, she has no issues with it, Sandberg said.
“This is America. People have their right to protest,” she said.

Andy Ruff

Andy Ruff (D) is the council’s vice president. He is completing his third term. A Bloomington native, Ruff spent some time away for college and a teaching job in Indianapolis before returning to Bloomington to work as an academic adviser for IU. He has two children, one of whom is an IU student.

Priorities this term
Ruff said his first priority is “keeping Bloomington the unique and wonderful place that it is, in terms of its quality of life and community character.”
He said he wants to generate interest in the city, as well as maintain public safety and financial social services support.

Thoughts on a bus merger

Ruff said he is in support of a merger if it can bring efficiency and possibly more grants and funding.

Student issues

As an academic adviser on campus, Ruff said he talks to students all day, every day and is aware of some of the problems they face, such as housing and landlord issues, safety and parking.
“Some of (the problems) can really add stress to students’ lives and have an impact on their academic lives,” he said.
Ruff also said he considers students an essential part of the Bloomington community.

Thoughts on Occupy Bloomington:

Critics call the movement too generalized, Ruff said, but he disagrees. Protesters are fighting specific symptoms that manifest the fundamental problem — an unfair economic gap between classes, he said.
If the movement is continued, Ruff said he hopes it can lead to changes in America.

Tim Mayer

Tim Mayer (D) serves as the council’s parliamentarian. He is finishing his fifth term and has spent 19 years on the council. He has been married for 49 years, and he and his wife have two adult sons. Mayer said he has lived in the same house near IU since 1971 after moving here in 1968 for graduate school.

Priorities this term

Mayer said the creation of a new city park on the southern part of town is one of his priorities, as well as preparing the city’s budget.

Thoughts on a bus merger

“There’s an opportunity to do that,” Mayer said.
It’s something that’s been discussed for a number of years by both parties, and at some point he sees it happening in the future, he said.
“A merger, ultimately, would probably make sense,” Mayer said.

Student issues

He has lived in a student neighborhood for 40 years and said students are citizens and a part of the community. The decisions the council makes affects the entire community, he said.
The council will look at safe housing for students, such as starting the conversation regarding “hard wire” smoke detectors, he said.

Additional comments

The council is also working on ways to encourage recycling throughout the city, he said.

Thoughts on Occupy Bloomington

People have a legitimate right to protest, he said.
“I think that what they’re doing is perfectly fine,” he said.
His only concern is vandalism, which he doesn’t currently see as an issue, he said.

Jennifer Mickel

Jennifer Mickel (R) is opposing the incumbents. She moved here at age 8 from Nebraska. She has spent her educational career in Bloomington and England, graduating from Bloomington High School North and attending IU. She has spent a total of 32 years here, and she currently owns a landscaping design and maintenance company.

Priorities this term

Mickel wants to start a web-based complaint and compliment system. She also wants to begin dialogue to improve the courts and jail system due to alleged unconstitutional behavior by local public defenders.
“The constitution is our contract that protects us (from abuse),” she said.

Thoughts on bus merger

She said she supports a merger.
“What I’ve noticed myself, personally, is there aren’t many people on the buses,” Mickel said.
She wants to improve how those with strollers or walkers could ride the bus.

Student issues

Mickel said she would rethink the idea of block apartments downtown for safety reasons.
She would also increase police presence around town.
“The policing needs to be rethought, and it will benefit the freedoms of the students if we do that,” she said.

Additional comments

She said the reason she is running is in response to an incident she had with a local police officer. Through her experience, she wants to help others.
“This is my town,” she said. “I’m interested in defending those who cannot defend themselves.”

Thoughts on Occupy Bloomington:

She supports their movement.
“I remember being that age,” she said. “I saw them, and a lot of them were young.”
However, she doesn’t think the city should require permits to gather.
“Basically our free speech is curtailed by the permit system,” she said
The movement would be better if they didn’t camp out, she said, because it’s not fair to nearby property or business owners.

Ed Schwartzman

Ed Schwartzman (R) is a local business owner who has never run for office, he said. He was born and raised in New York and has lived in Indiana for 25 years. He’s been in Bloomington for about four years and owns a local eatery. He has a daughter at IU.

Priorities this term
Schwartzman wants to involve more IU students in the political process.
He said he had a hunch the council was not representative of the community, and he said he feels he was right after getting more involved in city politics by campaigning.
He first thought of the students and how they had complaints and should voice these issues.
“My hope would be that, even if I don’t win, for all future elections, all candidates reach out to the students,” he said.
He would also make medical amnesty a citywide law, not just on IU’s campus. This system doesn’t punish underage drinkers in the event they need to report an emergency.
“Citywide is going to be tougher,” he said, because it requires looking at state laws.

Thoughts on a bus merger
“Without question, it’s an idea long overdue,” Schwartzman said.
There is a duplication of routes, he said. Also, Bloomington is only compensated for Bloomington Transit, not the IU line, he said. He’s been told the city could be compensated up to $2 million more than what they are receiving now with two lines.
“It’s a huge windfall for us,” he said.

Thoughts on Occupy Bloomington
He has no problem with protestors. It’s how they are gathering that raises some questions, he said.
“I do not support any group moving into a public space,” he said of the group’s camping in the park.
He said he supports their right to protest and has met with them and told them he has admiration for their cause.

District 1
Chris Sturbaum

Chris Sturbaum (D) has served eight years on council. He has been in Bloomington since 1963 and has owned a local construction company for more than 30 years.

Priorities for this term

He considers offering recycling at apartments a priority, as well as a Monroe County Convention Center expansion project that would allow larger groups to use the space. Other priorities include a new park and economic development.

Thoughts on bus merger

It makes sense, Sturbaum said.
“We have to get better transit with less money,” he said. “It’s a win-win for both groups.”

Student issues

Not much of the council’s decisions affects students, he said.
Some downtown apartments are the target of discussion, Sturbaum said.
The council is also trying to make the city more bike-friendly.

Additional comments

There is a concern the Democrats aren’t doing a good job, he said, but he believes the proof is in how the city looks, even in these economic times.

Thoughts on Occupy Bloomington
They have legitimate complaints, he said.

Kristopher  Baker

Kristopher “KC” Baker (R) is opposing Sturbaum. He first came to Bloomington in 1999 and returned in 2009. He is a native of nearby Morgan County and is a full-time grad student at IU. He is also a full-time employee at a local company.

Priorities for this term
Some of his top issues include transportation funding and adding more bus routes to his district, west of the courthouse, and possibly connecting Ivy Tech to the system.
Other priorities include economic development for current and future residents.

Thoughts on bus merger

He’s curious to see what it would look like, and it’s an idea that has been on the table for awhile, he said.
“I’m open to the idea, and I want to explore what efficiencies that creates,” Baker said.
If a merger wouldn’t make the system more effective, he wants to research why that is.
If there is a merger, and IU students are required to pay a transportation fee, Baker’s concern is students would be subsidizing non-student use of buses.

Student issues
Some concerns include how land is used in the city, student housing and a lack of parking.
Another student issue is medical amnesty, he said, which the city has little to do with.
“My personal opinion on medical amnesty is very conflicted,” he said.
There is a balance between using it as a vehicle for bad behavior versus the ability to protect friends, he said.

Additional comments
He stressed students have the right to vote, and he hopes they exercise that right.
“Students have tremendous power to shape the election,” Baker said.

Thoughts on Occupy Bloomington
“I think they’re free to assemble and protest as they wish,” Baker said. “I don’t think it’s clear what they’re protesting or (what) their goals are for protesting.”
He has no problem with what they are doing, but he’s unsure other groups would be as welcome and believes that to be a double-standard.
He said he is unsure whether he would support their continued use of the property and at some point would have to question it.