Monday, June 17

Twice the 'Dreaming'

m83

Coming off of the magnificent “Saturdays=Youth,” it was hard to believe M83’s Anthony Gonzalez could ever top it. Gonzalez created a double LP of epic proportions with a run time of 72 minutes of pure bliss and called it “Hurry Up, We’re Dreaming” to prove us all wrong.

Unlike on “Saturdays,” there are no 10-minute instrumental tracks here. Instead, “Hurry Up” is broken into singles and interesting interludes (“Raconte-Moi Une Histoire,” for example), providing a much more listenable experience. The two discs play like true A and B sides, joined by complementary tracks “Soon, My Friend” and “My Tears are Becoming a Sea,” respectively.

Each side also has a stand-out track. Disc 1 features “Midnight City,” which builds on the tension of “waiting for a ride in the dark” and smacks you at the peak of it all with a saxophone solo that just sets it off.

Disc 2 features “Steve McQueen,” a track that demonstrates Gonzalez’s self-admission that he can never stop tinkering. It builds and builds to a height that only M83 can feel safe operating at, climaxing with a solo from Gonzalez’s ever-improving vocal skills.

“Hurry Up, We’re Dreaming” is an invitation into M83’s bizarre dreamworld, and from intro to outro, you’ll be glad you accepted. Now hit repeat.