sports men's soccer

Tolen back home for road match

IU v Michigan State

With 12 Hoosiers contributing points to the men’s soccer team’s offense, it’s been tough for other players to see much time on the field this season.

Junior Joe Tolen has seen action in only five games. The midfielder said he hopes, as he returns to his native Evansville on Wednesday for a game against the Aces, that he’ll get another opportunity to play in front of his old home crowd.

“It’s always great to play in front of people you know,” Tolen said. “I’m really excited for this game because it’s only my second time returning to Evansville, and the first time I was redshirted, so I’ve had this one on my radar for a long time.”

In his high school days, Tolen was a four-time all-conference soccer player for Evansville Central. He scored 79 goals and tallied 53 assists in his four years. He was named first-team all-state and all-region as a senior in 2007, leading his team to the regional final for the first time.

Although Tolen finished his years at Central as the all-time single season leader in assists, scoring and varsity starts, he said he’s moved past his days as a Bear, not having been in contact with any of his former teammates who now play for the Aces.

“I know a couple freshmen on the team this year, but I haven’t really played much with any of them,” Tolen said. “I’m just really looking forward to being back playing under an Evansville crowd.”

In the end, though, Tolen’s playing time rests in IU Coach Todd Yeagley’s hands.

“This season, Joe just hasn’t been able to find the minutes I know he’s been looking for,” Yeagley said. “But he’s definitely a key player, and if the opportunity arises on Wednesday night, we’d like to be able to find him some playing time.”

Tolen has recorded two goals and six assists in the 23 games, including three starts, he’s appeared in as a Hoosier through almost three seasons. But, as the junior said, even just getting some playing time Wednesday would be enough for him.

“Anytime you can go play in front of your family and friends and in the town you used to play, it’s a great atmosphere to be around,” Tolen said. “I’m really looking forward to this one.”

Just two weeks ago, sophomore Jamie Vollmer faced a similar situation to Tolen’s. Vollmer had the chance to return to his old college team when IU traveled to Indianapolis to face Butler, where Vollmer spent his freshman year.

Vollmer emerged with two shots on goal in the Hoosiers’ 1-0 win, and Yeagley said he’s seen how important it is for his players to play in front of crowds filled with their family and friends after Vollmer’s performance. He said he hopes that Tolen can give his team the same type of spark that Vollmer did if Yeagley can find Tolen some playing time.

“Anytime you can play in front of a crowd like that, it’s huge, as player,” Yeagley said. “If he gets a chance, I know he’ll be ready. He brings it every day.”