sports volleyball

Team’s losing streak extends to 8 games

Volleyball

Entering the weekend riding a six-game losing streak, the IU women’s volleyball team needed its big-time players to answer the competitive challenge of traveling to Iowa and No. 6 Nebraska.

Even though junior right-side hitter Kelci Marschall led the team in kills in both games, the results were the same as IU’s last six games.

Despite Marschall’s 29 total kills this weekend, the Hoosiers lost to both the Hawkeyes and the Corn Huskers. The loss moved the Hoosiers to 8-10 overall and 0-6 in the Big Ten and extended the team’s losing streak to eight games.

IU Coach Sherry Dunbar said Marschall’s versatility in stepping into a new role this year has helped her lead the Hoosiers.

“She has made a huge transition this year playing as a six-rotation player as a left-handed hitter,” Dunbar said. “With the injuries that we have had this year, she has stepped into a new role and will be one of our most versatile players in the future of our program.”

The weekend started with a five-set match in Iowa City as the Hawkeyes beat the Hoosiers to earn their first Big Ten win of the season, 25-14, 20-25, 25-21, 16-25, 15-13.

After dropping the first set, Marschall led the team with six kills in the second set to even the match at a set a piece.

The play wavered through the third and fourth sets.

In the third set, the Hawkeyes withstood a 7-2 Hoosier run to bring the score to 22-21 before burying the Hoosiers to take the third set.

Led by Marschall and middle blocker Samantha Thrower, the Hoosiers bounced back in the fourth set. Marschall and Thrower dominated with seven and five kills, respectively.

In the fifth set, with the score tied at 9-9, the Hawkeyes took the advantage at 13-10 before IU junior outside hitter Ivie Obeime smashed back-to-back kills, drawing the Hoosiers within a point. But 13-12 ended up being the closest the Hoosiers got before the Hawkeyes closed the match, 15-13.

Saturday, the Hoosiers entered the 4,030-seat Nebraska Coliseum against the Corn Huskers in a game that was broadcast live on ESPN3.com and delay-broadcast nationally on ESPN2.

In a match that marked the first time the teams had ever met in Big Ten play, the Corn Huskers swept the Hoosiers, defeating them, 25-19, 25-14, 25-13.

For the second consecutive night, Marschall led the Hoosiers with seven kills.

Freshman middle blocker Morgan Leach added five.

Dunbar said the Hoosiers’ journey through the Big Ten this year will be a long one if the team focuses on not playing its best volleyball.

“We can’t dwell on it,” Dunbar said. “The journey for me is to find out how to get them to play to their full potential.

“What I know is I want them to find enjoyment out of playing at a high level instead of worrying about how many wins or losses there are.”