Phantom of the Auditorium

Dennis James returns for organ performance

Dennis James Hosts Halloween

When Dennis James was a child, his father told him about a silent film performance of “Phantom of the Opera” and how the sound of the organ made the
experience.

Years later, as an IU undergraduate student, James played the organ score to that same film before an audience. James had originally printed 400 tickets for the screening, but 4,000 students showed up. The 1969 performance launched James’ career as an organist.

On Thursday, James will return to IU once again to accompany the silent horror film “Phantom of the Opera” at the IU Auditorium.

“We still have a number of people that have been attending my shows since 1969,” James said. ”It’s a fond way of looking back for people in the community.”

IU Auditorium Director Doug Booher has seen James’ performances become a tradition for the University during the Halloween season.

“Each year, nearly 2,000 people arrive at the show, many in costume, to hear Dennis’ stories about his time at IU in the late 1960s and then watch the movie on the big screen,” Booher said. “You never know what IU professor or administrator might show up as their favorite historical figure or superhero.”

James said he sees the show as much more than a Halloween tradition. He sees it as a way to keep the art of the silent film alive and relevant.

“It’s an opportunity for students to view movies the way they were meant to be seen with the music they were actually meant to have,” James said.

Though he plays the organ, James said it isn’t the instrument that creates the desired sound but the hands of the musician behind it.

“The organ supplies the musical vehicle for authenticity,” James said. “You’re
getting to hear how these movies were performed in their day through an informed historical player.”

Adjunct Lecturer in Music Rika Asai explained what she believes makes James such an informed historical player.

“James began his career when people from the silent era were still living,” Asai said. “So, he has a personal connection to the repertoire and the films.”

Asai described James as a pivotal figure in the silent film revival.

“I expect that the performance Thursday will be pivotal from a historical and entertainment prospective,” Asai said.

James has developed a passion for what he believes silent films are all about. He said live performance is much more creative than sound film, as every performance can be a unique entity.

“Sound film is something that is absolutely complete,” James said. “It’s already finished when it is presented, and every showing is a reproduction.”

James spoke about the digital changes in sound film and how movies are now mostly viewed in the home and on portable devices.

“All of these things are completely opposite of the idea of silent film,” James said. “The art of actually attending a live performance has been lost.”

James said he felt strongly about the future of silent film and said he had reached “the highest levels” of his career.

“It has been one of those fairy tale experiences to have a 43-year career doing what I set out to do from the beginning,” James said.

James’ career plans were imagined when he was 14 years old. He encourages IU students to use their time wisely and discover their true passions.

“It’s a fortunate thing to have an environment, such as IU, where you can set out a plan and then execute it successfully,” James said. “It was the perfect opportunity for me to realize my ambitions.”