How does your kitchen measure up?

Take our at-home quiz to see if your kitchen passes.

Senior Amanda Feigenbaum’s linoleum floors are swept, her faux-granite countertops are clutter-free and the only visible flaw is a leftover (debatably moldy) lemon from a party two weeks ago.  Clean – as far as college is concerned.

When it comes to where you make your food, you want the space to be clean.  But if that’s everyone’s mindset, why do we keep finding mold-ridden, fly- infested and downright crummy kitchens?  Everyone knows to wipe the counters and take out the trash, but c’mon, who thinks about sanitizing the sink?  Since we’ve let too many dishes go unclean and partied in more than a few questionable kitchens, it’s time to bring in the professionals. 

Graham McKeen, an Environmental Health Specialist at Indiana University, enhanced our knowledge on the subject, providing us with a modified list of his own inspection checkpoints. Checklist in hand, we visited three students on campus and put his tips to the test.

“Clorox wipes are essential,” says senior Logan Ronk.  She and her roommate live in Burnham Place – a lofty apartment with hardwood floors, neatly folded blankets and a surprisingly dish-filled sink.

“I thought we were clean, but we’ve got some work to do,” says Ronk.

Even freshmen living in the dorms can’t escape the need to be clean.  Brian Depasse’s 12 by 15 foot room in McNutt has clothes and food stored on the same shelf.  He and his roommate, Dylan, don’t have space to spread out, so it’s no surprise to see Clorox Wipes, next to cereal next to Nyquill.

“Our room can look like a hazard zone after one night out,” says Depasse glancing at Pizza X scraps and cups scattered on the floor.

So, unless you’re a 21st-century Danny Tanner or maintain shine like Mr. Clean, take our at-home inspection to see if your kitchen is up to par.

Take our at-home quiz to see if your kitchen passes:

1. Do you consume or discard leftovers within 4 days of making them? (Trick: when in doubt, throw it out)

2. Do you own a meat thermometer for checking cooking temperatures?

3. Do you clean cutting boards, utensils, and counters before use, after use, and when switching from raw to ready-to-eat food items like veggies?

4. Do you keep all raw meat separate from ready-to-eat foods and on the bottom shelf of your refrigerator?

5. Do you keep hand towels clean and dry and change them frequently?

6. If you use sponges, do you wash, sanitize, and change them frequently?

7. Do you leave food out of the fridge for more than 4 hours?

8. Is your sink free of dirty dishes and food debris?

9. Do you sanitize your sink frequently and between tasks, such as: thawing, dish washing, and hand washing?

10. Do you store your chemicals and medicines away from food, clean dishes, and utensils?

11. Do you check for and discard any canned foods that have dented, rusty, or swollen seals?

Did their kitchens pass the clean test?

Senior Amanda Feigenbaum’s linoleum floors are swept, her faux-granite countertops are clutter-free and the only visible flaw is a leftover lemon from a party two weeks ago.  Clean – as far as college is concerned. 

Score: 17/21

“Clorox wipes are essential,” says senior Logan Ronk.  She and her roommate live in Burnham Place – a lofty apartment with hardwood floors, neatly folded blankets and a surprisingly dish-filled sink. “I thought we were clean, but we’ve got some work to do,” says Ronk.

Score: 13/21

Even freshmen living in the dorms can’t escape the need to be clean.  Brian Depasse’s 12-by-15 foot room in McNutt has clothes and food stored on the same shelf.  He and his roommate don’t have space to spread out, so it’s no surprise to see Clorox Wipes next to cereal next to Nyquill.

“Our room can look like a hazard zone after one night out,” says Depasse, glancing at Pizza X scraps and cups scattered on the floor.

Score: 3/6 (most questions didn’t apply to residence halls)