Greek week aims to serve city, change perceptions

Greek students said they hope to change the bad reputation they sometimes receive from the surrounding community next week.

“It’s a small percentage that has a very large reputation,” said Sarah Finnerty, vice president of community involvement for Panhellenic Association. “That’s why it’s important to have weeks like this — to show that we are doing something good.”

From Oct. 17 to 22, the four greek councils — Interfraternity Council, PHA, National Pan-Hellenic Council and Multi-Cultural Greek Council — will sponsor events aimed at supporting and fundraising for a community that greeks sometimes think looks down on them, Finnerty said.

“Since it’s not just about philanthropy, it’s showing that greeks are multifaceted,” Finnerty said. “So hopefully this week can be kind of a moment for the community to see that we are doing good.”

Pedro Cantiello, vice president of community programs for IFC and a brother in the Delta Upsilon fraternity, helped organize the effort.

“Greek Week this year will have a stronger focus on service and helping the local community,” Cantiello said. “In the past, there was an effort to unite the community, and very little was done to reach out to the other student organizations of the Bloomington community.”

Finnerty said they will incorporate more hands-on service events.

“When I sat down with the previous VP, we really talked about how greek philanthropy kind of has the stigma of check writing, and I hate that,” she said.

Melissa Lowe, director of community involvement for PHA and sister in Pi Beta Phi, said philanthropy is an essential aspect of being greek.

“As greeks, we all are called to philanthropic activity,” she said. “And this week is a great way to do it as a community, in the name of all greek houses, not just your own.”

Because Greek Week coincides with National Collegiate Alcohol Awareness Week and the fall cycling series for the IU Student Foundation, the councils will try to incorporate these events in with their usual fundraising.

The week is also a competition among the fraternities and sororities. Points are awarded based on numbers of participants in each of the featured events during the week.

But non-greeks can participate, too.

“Non-greeks can participate in percentage nights, buy GlowFest tickets through people they know in greek houses, donate canned goods to people they know in greek houses and support the fall cycling series,” Lowe said.

The events are also open to those outside of the greek community.

“Non-greek members can get involved by attending any of the events we will be having,” Cantiello said. “They are all open to everyone that wishes to come.”