sports field hockey

Field hockey goalies willingly share net

Field Hockey

Whatever you do, don’t call it a competition. 

So far this season, the IU field hockey team has been led by not one, but two goalkeepers.

Freshman Maggie Olson and graduate student Viki Green have been playing in the starting role since the year began.

“I don’t really look at it as necessarily a competition,” Olson said. “I definitely feel like it’s a week-to-week decision for the coaches to make. Viki and I work really well together as a unit. My strengths are her weaknesses and vice versa.”

Both players have had success this season.

Olson boasts a 6-2 record and a 1.69 goals against average.

Green has 22 saves and has the edge so far in minutes in the net.

“Its been motivating because you know that every time you mess up, you have to work a little bit harder to keep your position,” Green said. “It’s obviously a better thing.”

During the season, both players have almost split time in the cage, with Green at 5:08:22 and Olson at 4:14:05.

“It’s made me concentrate a lot harder on the things I need to work on knowing that I don’t have a set spot in any given game,” Olson said. “It makes every practice a vital practice, and it makes it that much more important to improve from week to week.”

IU Coach Amy Robertson said she has embraced giving both goalkeepers chances in the net.

Robertson said she accepts the fact that the team has two different weapons that can be put in goal, which can be used as a distraction.

“Viki is faster. She can make these cat-like saves,” Robertson said, “Maggie’s really solid. She communicates. She’s consistent. Whoever is in goal, (the team) support and rally around.”

Their off-field relationship has also been strong, Green said.

“You can’t be mad at Maggie,” Green said. “She has the best personality ever, so it’s not hard to compete against (her).”

Although they are battling for the starting role, Olson said the chemistry between both keepers has been excellent.

“What’s important to remember is that we play for the same team, so even though I would like to have every minute in the cage be mine, I would rather have the better goalie in goal,” Olson said. “If that’s not me in any given game, I feel comfortable knowing that Viki is a good keeper, and she can handle the team really well.”