Alumnus, legend Booker T. returns to Bloomington

IU alumnus Booker T. Jones is a Grammy Lifetime Achievement award winner and a Rock and Roll Hall of Fame inductee.

Today, Jones will perform with the IU Soul Revue at the Buskirk-Chumley in association with the IU African American Arts Institute.

Danielle McClelland, executive director for the Buskirk, said AAAI has been a long-time partner with the Buskirk-Chumley.

She also said Dr. Charles Sykes, executive director of the AAAI, told her about his dream to have Booker T. Jones perform with the IU Soul Revue.

“I thought it was a great concert and opportunity for the community, as well,” McClelland said.

“There’s a lot of excitement and involvement from the Alumni Association with Homecoming and all. There are a lot of AAAI alumni who are making a specific trip for this concert.”

Among other accomplishments, Jones is known for his contribution to the genres of soul and R&B.

“I have long been a fan of Booker T. Jones and the soulful, southern grooves he and his MGs laid down on many Stax recordings,” Sykes said.

“I was really excited when I found out that he is an IU alum and thought that it would be great to get him back to Bloomington for a concert.”

Dr. Sykes added he was particularly interested in having the IU Soul Revue, an ensemble that has performed a number of Booker T.’s tunes throughout the years, interact with such a legend.

“Opening the show for Booker T. is truly an honor,” Sykes said.

The IU Soul Revue, along with the African American Dance Company and the African American Choral Ensemble, are part of the AAAI.

The IU Soul Revue is celebrating its 40th anniversary with today’s performance.
Jones spent a lot of time working and recording with other artists at Stax Records in Memphis, Tenn.

Music history professor Glenn Gass said Jones spent weekends working and recording at Stax and would drive up from Memphis for a week of classes at IU.

“He did as much as anyone else to define soul music as instrumental,” Gass said.

“Booker T. and the MGs were everyone’s dream band. From Neil Young to the Beatles to even playing at Bob Fest, they’ve definitely had an impact on music.”