Volunteer organizations provide new campus experiences for SPEA students

For students in the School of Public and Environmental Affairs, campus volunteer groups can be an outlet to gain an edge.

“I think we bring a unique perspective to the community,” said Joe Popely, president of  SPEA Undergraduate Student Association.

He said students join the organizations to create opportunities and contribute something to the broader community.

“We’d like to offer people the chance to have fun with education and also further opportunities to advance their careers,” Popely said. “We don’t forget that we’re in Bloomington, and it is a very vibrant community. One of our goals is to absolutely give back.”

Volunteers in Sustainability is a group of students working to make IU a sustainable campus through activities including a campus-wide campaign to educate students about energy issues and projects to preserve plant life in Dunn Woods.

“We try to connect students to other opportunities not necessarily created by our group by collaborating with others,” Senior Campaign Manager Julia Denison said.

Popely said SPEA USA and ViS will add new volunteer opportunities this year.
ViS also has ongoing projects that students can be a part of.

Denison said a large focus for ViS this fall will be bringing energy sources into discussions on campus.

“I think it’s especially critical on a campus of this size to have groups that focus on environmental health,” said sophomore Rachel Geiger, director of events and projects for ViS.

Popely said SPEA USA would like to do more with sustainability in Bloomington this year.

“The more you do, the more you’ll get back,” Popely said. “The more people that come out and join us, the better it will be.”

Geiger said the environmental groups on campus can have a major effect on the environment and Bloomington as a community.

“I think it’s important to know that all of the sustainability groups are extremely welcoming, and that there are a lot of different ways to get involved that suit all different personalities and interests,” she said.

There will be call-out meetings this week for SPEA USA at 7:30 p.m. today and Wednesday in the SPEA undergraduate lounge.

To volunteer with ViS, go to the “get involved” page on its website, indiana.edu/~sustain/VIS.