Hollinden delivers bonus set

Every semester for four years, Andy Hollinden has been playing the Bluebird the Friday before finals week.

This time, however, he’ll be playing early in the semester.

“There’s a built-in novelty when the rock and roll history teacher plays,” he said. “It’s sort of a ‘put up or shut up’ type of thing.  You’d be surprised how many people throw the ‘those who can’t do teach’ quote at me, and it bugged me that I was only teaching and not doing.”

Some students, such as senior Maneli Reihani, have yet to see Hollinden perform.
Reihani is currently enrolled in Hollinden’s “music of Jimi Hendrix” class and said he’s thought of going to Hollinden’s shows before but never had the chance.

“I had a friend who took Andy’s class last year, and he was always trying to get me to go,” Reihani said. “I’ve always heard that the shows are awesome. I always have a good time at the Bluebird, too, so I imagine it’ll be a fairly entertaining show.”

It’s not only students who look forward to Hollinden’s nights at the Bluebird. Between the home football game this weekend and the demand for another show, Bluebird owner Dave Kubiak said he hopes to draw a diverse crowd Saturday.

“The crowd is usually big,” Kubiak said. “There are a lot of college students who take his class and love him, but there are also a lot of people around town who have seen him before. The home football game this weekend should give some alumni a chance to come see him.”

Hollinden said this semester’s performance will be a “best of” show. He said the band tried to choose songs that are not overplayed and highlight the band’s ability to play music other bands don’t often play.

Jenn Christy and her band will open for Hollinden again, something he said he’s looking forward to.

“I guess you can say I gave Jenn (Christy) a singing assignment, and that assignment is Sinead O’Connor’s ‘Mandinka’,” Hollinden said. “She can sing ‘The Great Gig in the Sky,’ what can’t she sing? These are iconic performances. We plan to do them justice,” he said.

Cost of the show is $6 and open to those 21 and older.

Hollinden said he’ll keep the shows going as long as he can, “‘til I’m too old or too deaf to do it.”