Fair to promote IU student involvement

Students looking for opportunities to get involved on campus can attend IU’s Student Involvement Fair from 11 a.m. to 3 p.m. Wednesday, Sept. 7, in the IMU parking lot.

This year’s fair will have representation from more than 250 organizations, said Tracy Teel, student organizations and leadership advisor at Student Life and Learning.

Groups present will include registered student organizations, such as greek life, multicultural organizations, club sports, interest groups and student governments.

Students in attendance will also have the opportunity to explore campus departments and committees, such as cultural and spiritual centers and student support services, as well as off-campus nonprofits looking for volunteers.

The involvement fair has been a jumping-off point for students who later become active members of student organizations and often advance into leadership roles.

Sophomore Derrick Wade attended the Student Involvement Fair during his freshman year and became involved with College Democrats at IU.

“I came from a pretty conservative area growing up, so seeing their table kind of excited me because I had never been a part of an organization like that and I wanted to,” he said.

Wade is now an active member and has been offered an opportunity to act as political director in the organization’s executive board.

New to the fair this year is a student showcase area, supported by a live broadcast from WIUX student radio. Organizations will be able to promote themselves via announcements, demonstrations and live performances.

In addition to the 250 organizations in attendance, there are about 500 others that will not be represented at the fair. Students can learn more about those organizations, as well as those participating in the fair, at myinvolvement.indiana.edu.