sports golf

Davies finishes tied for fourth, IU women’s golf takes seventh

Despite being fresh off a win at the IU Fall Kickoff, the women’s golf team faced a roller coaster weekend of high and low scores at the Mary Fossum Invitational to finish seventh.

The Hoosiers posted a 935-stroke team tournament total, trailing two strokes behind James Madison. Michigan State took home the victory with an 892.

After posting a 316 in the first round, the team made up 14 strokes to finish the first day in sixth.

Junior Rosie Davies, who came in first last weekend and earned Big Ten Player of the Week, carded a 79-68-77 to tie for fourth. Davies made a bogey on No. 15 in the first round but bounced back with an eagle on the same hole in the second.

“It seemed to be in the hole and lipped out pretty hard,” Davies said. “I stood in the fairway the next round and focused on holing it, and I did. It was pretty awesome. After that I went into an attacking mindset and took the birdies that were out there.”

Senior co-captain Kristtini Cain also rallied in the second round, recording an 81-72-78 to tie for 18th. Cain made consecutive birdies on No. five and No. six in the second round to keep her even-par on the front nine and capped off the round even-par on the back nine.

“I definitely need to work on my putting,” Cain said. “I took too many strokes out there but hit the ball pretty well. As a team we didn’t score like we wanted to, but we are definitely on the right track, and hopefully we can improve each time.”

IU Coach Clint Wallman said the weekend was full of highlights, but he plans to reassess how they play the golf course and ways to score better numbers.

“In terms of off the tee, we’re pretty good. We just made some physical errors that cost us,” Wallman said. “This is a good benchmark to see where we need to improve.”