Saturday, June 15

America shines in Cardinal's 'Sons'

The Cardinal Stage Company continues its goal of bringing critically praised theater acts to Bloomington.

The city’s only professional regional theater started its sixth season this year with a production of Arthur Miller’s “All My Sons.”

“This is a very powerful story and one of Arthur Miller’s breakout successes,” Marketing Director Eleanor Berman said.

Cardinal Stage’s production marks the start of IU’s College of Arts and Sciences’ Themester 2011, “Making War, Making Peace.”

“This is our third year collaborating with the College of Arts and Sciences,” Artistic Director Randy White said. “We always try to open with a big-hit drama, and it has gone well for us.”

The company has always made it a goal to bring business to downtown Bloomington. Its plays feature Indiana-based actors.

The Cardinal Stage Company also takes part in outreach programs, such as its Community Ticket Initiative, which bought 1,000 free tickets to Cardinal shows last season for struggling families, according to the company’s website.

“We decided that the American Dream would be our theme, and we ultimately decided that ‘All My Sons’ fit that theme,” White said. “We can now use it as a means to expand our theme throughout the community.”

“All My Sons” will be shown at the Waldron Arts Center until Sept. 18.

“With any show the Cardinal Stage Company puts on, you can trust that we are showing top-notch quality programs,” Berman said. “This is a must-see play."