1st Gay-Friendly Fraternity Recognized on Campus

Almost two years ago, a thought occurred to senior Joshua Thomas that seemed unheard of to him at the time. He decided a gay-friendly fraternity should be brought to IU.

Existing fraternities cater to various religious and ethnic minorities on campus but, despite the school’s rating as one of the most LGBT-friendly college campuses, there are no collegiate-based “gay-friendly” fraternities.

After Thomas assembled a small group of five men for an interest group, the Beta Chapter of Sigma Phi Beta was colonized in 2010.

In the following spring, 14 men were initiated as brothers, with twice as many expected to rush this semester.

This fall marks Sigma Phi Beta’s first official semester as a recognized chapter on campus, making the fraternity the first successful expansion of the original chapter founded at Arizona State University and the first of its kind in the region.

“Sigma Phi’s fall rush follows the tradition of IU’s history of providing supportive communities to various minorities on this campus,” said Doug Bauder, coordinator for the GLBT Student Support Services Office at IU, in an email.

“I appreciate the work the men of Sigma Phi Beta are doing to educate the campus. At the same time, I look forward to the day when fraternities welcome men into their fraternities regardless of skin color, religion or sexual orientation.”

Sigma Phi Beta offers a place for students who don’t fit into the traditional greek community, said Membership Chairman Jeremy O’Neal, who became involved with the organization last year.

Membership is open to anyone who identifies as male, including gay, straight and transgender men.

“In a sense, we’re making history,” said O’Neal. “Anyone who rushes is a part of it.”

Thomas, who has worked tirelessly to bring his idea to fruition, said he hopes Sigma Phi Beta will be an example for other gay, lesbian, bisexual and transgender students on campus.

“We, as an organization, are currently stepping into a heteronormative society, while at the same time trying to strive to be ourselves within the same community,” said Thomas.

“I want us to show everyone that anything is possible no matter what the obstacles are.”