Tiger Woods losing mind games

There was a time in the recent past when Tiger Woods’ presence at a major championship would cause even his stiffest competition to shake in his spikes.

Dressed in his traditional red on Sundays, there was always a sense of finality — as in, we’re about to witness history because all these other poor souls have no chance.  

It was the most intimidating scene in sports, similar to Michael Jordan preening around a basketball court or Muhammad Ali entering the ring.

Tiger could hit a tiny white ball better than anyone on the planet, but that wasn’t as impressive as the aura he created.

Before an iron was struck, Woods was in every golfer’s head.

But as he arrived at the Atlanta Athletic Club for “Glory’s Last Shot,” it’s clear that Tiger Woods has reached uncharted territory.

For the first time, it felt like he had no shot. Sure, given his disintegrating personal life and troublesome injuries, it’s been a while since Woods was anything close to a
certainty. But even at his least prepared, there was a lingering notion that maybe he would contend, at least.

Not anymore. The guy who used to play Jedi mind tricks on major championship fields is now a prisoner of his own subconscious.

The legendary Bobby Jones said, “Competitive golf is played mainly on a five-and-a-half-inch course... the space between your ears.”

I vaguely remember the first time I heard those prophetic words of wisdom.

My grandfather, who was my golf-watching companion, was a sucker for these kinds of witticisms or anecdotes. So naturally he repeated Jones’ quote at some point.

It turns out the old men were right. Physical ability and skill will only get you so far in golf.

The ability to shrug off the self-doubt that creeps in and a mentally strong makeup is essential to success.

At his best, Woods has proven he has physical gifts that make the ordinary weekend hacker drool.

But as supremely talented as he is, he’s a 14-time major champion because of the bulletproof competitive psyche he had  created.

Since the fallout from his much-publicized scandal, it’s like someone has taken out a 2-iron and unleashed several whacks at Woods’ confidence.

There are still moments when it appears he can summon his championship form,but these are brief respites for a man dealing with self-doubt on a golf course for the first time.

You can see it sneak in when he three-putts or skulls a simple chip around a green.

These were things that a focused, mentally strong Tiger Woods would seldom do.
Woods promises he isn’t just some “other guy” and insists he can win every time he enters a tournament.

For the time being, his words are hollow. In fact, they are downright unbelievable.

His career revival may come at some point down the road, but it won’t be this weekend. It’s not because his swing is slightly off plane, or his putting stroke needs to be fixed.

No, Tiger, it’s all in your head.

— sealogan@indiana.edu